Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani announced its GigaFiber broadband service at the company's 41st annual general meeting (AGM).
Things you need to know about Jio GigaFiber broadband service
- At present, Reliance Jio is running beta trials of its GigaFiber broadband service in tens of thousands of homes.
- Users can begin registering for the Jio GigaFiber via the company's MyJio app and Jio.com website from August 15.
- The localities with the highest number of Jio registrations in the cities will be able to avail GigaFiber first.
- With its own router, Jio GigaRouter, the service aims to bring the internet to subscriber's homes.
- Customers can also avail the option of a TV set-top-box, called the Jio GigaTV which will also support voice commands which helps navigate the Jio TV programming, similar to that of the JioPhone.
- Smart remote is provided with the Jio GigaTV which supports voice commands and even allows users to video call once a camera accessory is added.
- Fibre line installation won’t be charged on the customers but a security deposit will be charged for the service.
- So far, the company is yet to reveal any details of the price and tariff. Reliance Jio is likely to announce the same close to the registration date (August 15).
- Mukesh Ambani shared that the RIL has invested over Rs 250,000 crore to provide mobile and broadband connectivity across the country, with the largest fiber footprint.
- Reliance Jio will extend this fiber-based broadband service - Jio GigaFiber to homes, merchants, small, medium and large enterprises simultaneously across 1,100 cities in India.