- IOC corners more than a third of D6 gas in latest Reliance auction
- 30-plus countries to participate in Bengaluru Tech Summit starting tomorrow
- Producer Subhash Nuthalapati speaks high about ‘Atharva’
- Tamil Nadu to set up footwear park at an outlay of Rs 400 cr: Chief Minister Stalin
- Gold price climb Rs 100; silver unchanged at Rs 78,200 per kg
- Sri Lanka implements free tourist visas to nationals from India and six other countries
- Rupee recovers from record lows; rises 6 paise to settle at 83.34 against US dollar
- Stock markets close higher on fag-end buying; snap two-day losing streak
- Rajasthan CM Ashok Gehlot confident of Cong win in 5 states
- Jio provides voice, data services at Silkyara tunnel within 12 hrs
Did people recover by eating bhabhi ji ke papad?
The fight against coronavirus was not a political fight but a fight to save the lives of people, Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut said in parliament as he defended the Maharashtra government's efforts to contain the pandemic which has affected over 10 lakh people in the state.
New Delhi: The fight against coronavirus was not a political fight but a fight to save the lives of people, Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut said in parliament as he defended the Maharashtra government's efforts to contain the pandemic which has affected over 10 lakh people in the state. The state government had managed to control the spread of the pandemic in slum clusters like Dharavi, an effort which had drawn appreciation from the World Health Organisation (WHO), Raut said.
These recoveries didn't happen by eating "Bhabhi ji papad", the Sena leader sarcastically remarked, apparently referring to Union Minister and BJP leader Arjun Ram Meghwal's claim in July that the papad brand had the capacity to develop anti-bodies against coronavirus in the body. Meghwal had later tested positive for the virus.
The Shiv Sena MP said that though the confirmed cases from the state were the highest, it had managed to successfully cure majority of those infected with the deadly virus.
"My mother and my brother are infected with Covid. More than 30,000 people have recovered from COVID in Maharashtra. How did it happen? Today, the situation in Dharavi is under control. WHO has appreciated the efforts of BMC," Raut said in the Rajya Sabha.
Despite these effort, Raut said, the opposition was only concerned in criticising the state government. "I want to ask the members how did so many people recover? Kya log bhabhi ji ke papad kha karke theek ho gaye? (Did they recover by eating Bhabhiji's papad (snack)? This isn't a political fight but a fight to save the lives of people," he said referring to Meghawal.