- Telangana Assembly Election 2023 LIVE UPDATES
- Welfare regime can't be defeated Minister Ambati Rambabu
- Economists see India’s GDP growth slowing in second half of FY24
- Delhi High Court displeased over trail construction in Central Ridge, warns against treating it as 'personal fiefdom'
- Trinamool MLAs face Speaker's ire for absence during question hour
- Female actors demand to drop Goa minister from Cabinet for 'insulting' women
- Narayana Murthy bats for more English-medium schools; stresses on quick decisions to compete with China
- Delhi govt notifies Delhi Motor Vehicle Aggregator and Delivery Service Provider Scheme
- Gurugram Police arrest criminal carrying Rs 1 lakh reward
- APC elect new Asian Paralympic Committee Board at 2023 General Assembly
The defence minister promised a bang and ended with a whimper says P Chidambaram
Senior Congress leader P Chidambaram slams at Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, saying the import embargo on defence equipment announced by him was high sounding jargon as their only importer was the Defence Ministry.
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader P Chidambaram slams at Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, saying the import embargo on defence equipment announced by him was high sounding jargon as their only importer was the Defence Ministry.
"The defence minister promised a bang on a Sunday morning and ended with a whimper", Chidambaram said in a series of tweets.
"The only importer of defence equipment is the Defence Ministry. Any import embargo is really an embargo on oneself," the former home minister said.
He added, "What the defence minister said in his 'historic Sunday announcement' deserved only an office order from the minister to his secretariat."
He further said, "Import embargo is high sounding jargon. What it means is we will try to make the same equipment (that we import today) in 2 to 4 years and stop imports thereafter."
In a major reform initiative to boost the domestic defence industry, the defence minister announced restrictions on import of 101 weapons and military platforms including artillery guns, assault rifles and transport aircraft. The Ministry of Defence is now ready for a big push to AtmanirbharBharat initiative, Singh said on Twitter while making the announcement.
He said the ministry has prepared a list of 101 items for which the embargo on imports is planned to be progressively implemented between 2020 and 2024.