- Grand opening of Interwood’s 16th Exclusive Brand outlet at Hyderabad
- Rakesh Sharma Director of ITV Group elected as new president of INS
- Asian Games: India stun Korea for historic maiden entry in men's team badminton final
- Asian Games: India thrash Pakistan 10-2, hand archrivals biggest defeat ever
- Hockey Association of Odisha beat Hockey Jharkhand in Sub-Junior men, women finals
- Day after alleged manhandling, model turned actress Archana Gautam suspended from Congress
- Asian Games: Indian Men's Hockey Team stuns Pakistan, picks dominant 10-2 win
- Foreign intelligence agency involved in terror incidents in Pak, claims Minister
- Tribal party sponsored 12-hour bandh hits normal life in Tripura’s tribal areas
- US misses the 'bigger picture' on row with Canada, says Jaishankar
UP: Mentally unstable boy held for killing elderly couple
A 16-year-old mentally unstable boy was apprehended for allegedly battering to death an elderly couple with a stone in Garholi village here, police said on Saturday.
Azamgarh: A 16-year-old mentally unstable boy was apprehended for allegedly battering to death an elderly couple with a stone in Garholi village here, police said on Saturday.
According to police, the incident took place on Friday night when Shrinath Maurya (70) and his wife Maina Devi (65) were sleeping in the verandah of their house. Children playing in the vicinity of the couple's house raised an alarm after seeing the bodies, they said.
Superintendent of Police Sudhir Kumar Singh said the accused was identified as Golu Maurya and he lives in the same village. "Usually, Golu's family keeps him locked in a room. But on Friday night, he managed to come out of the room and killed the couple," the SP said.
The bodies have been sent for post-mortem examination, police said, adding that the couple's son works in Mumbai and they were alone in the house at the time of the incident.