- AAP in Punjab targeting political opponents: BJP leader Jakhar
- Goa to ban dog breed attacking humans, says CM Sawant
- ML study links reduced sleep and activity to premature birth
- MP Minister Yashodhara Raje Scindia not to contest coming Assembly polls
- California's longest serving Senator Dianne Feinstein dies at 90
- Danish Ali writes to PM Modi highlights threats, seeks his immediate attention on Bidhuri's episode
- AASU sweeps Gauhati University students' polls; ABVP bags 1 post
- 12 state-of-the-art libraries opened in Punjab, 16 more to come up
- The IT minister KTR laid foundation stone at Wanaparthy district
- Railways denied special train for TMC supporters to travel to Delhi: Abhishek Banerjee
AP to seek PV, Neelam statues at Parliament
CM says he will write to Meira Kumar shortly Centenary fete of former Prez Neelam launched Governor releases postal stamp in his honour ...
- CM says he will write to Meira Kumar shortly
- Centenary fete of former Prez Neelam launched
- Governor releases postal stamp in his honour
- Medical college, revenue academy to be named after Sanjiva Reddy
Hyderabad: The State Government will soon request the Lok Sabha Speaker to install the statues of former President of India Neelam Sanjiva Reddy and former Prime Minister PV Narasimha Rao in Parliament House, said Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy. Inaugurating the birth centenary celebrations of Sanjiva Reddy at Ravindra Bharati here on Sunday, he recalled the great contributions of Sanjiva Reddy. He said Sanjiva Reddy was synonymous with honesty and sincerity, and the present-day politicians needed to take inspiration from his life.
"In his twenties, he participated in the Quit India Movement and went to jail and at the age of 45 he became the Chief Minister of the State. He had the distinction of holding almost all the important posts including Deputy Chief Minister, Speaker of Lok Sabha among others except Prime Minister's post," the CM said. He also announced that the State Government would rename the government medical college in Anantapur district and the proposed Andhra Pradesh Revenue Academy after Neelam Sanjiva Reddy.
Governor ESL Narasimhan said that the life of Sanjiva Reddy was worth emulating for the present-day politicians both on political and personal fronts. The centenary celebrations launched on Sunday would be held at all the Collectorates across the State till November this year. Valedictory function will be held at Neelam Sanjiva Reddy Stadium in Anantapur on November 1.
The event also saw release of books and a postal stamp in the memory of the former President. Vaman Rao, a former senior Editor of The Hindu newspaper, who was a close associate of Sanjiva Reddy, was felicitated on the occasion. A Chakrapani, Chairman of AP Legislative Council, Union Ministers Panabaka Lakshmi, Killi Kriparani, State Ministers Raghuveera Reddy, Vatti Vasant Kumar, Pithani Satyanarayana, and the Vice-Chairman of the National Diaster Management Authority, Marri Sashidhar Reddy, were among the dignitaries at the programme.