Joining hands for inherited blood disorder patients
Every year 10,000 thalassemic children are born in India. The treatment of disease is expensive. A The cost of a bone marrow transplant is...
- Every year 10,000 thalassemic children are born in India.
- The treatment of disease is expensive.
- A The cost of a bone marrow transplant is prohibitive.
- The only other treatment is regular blood transfusions
- Shortness of breath, fatigue and jaundiceA
- Bone deformities in the face
- Significant number of blood transfusions need a treatment called chelation therapy to remove excess iron from the body.
- Thalassemia major often involves regular blood transfusions and supplements.
- A bone marrow transplant may help to treat the disease in some children.