5,550 crore proposed for the city
The Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) unveiled a Rs 5,550 crore draft budget for the year 2015-16 with revenue expenditure proposed at Rs 1,732 crore and capital expenditure at Rs 3,818 crore. The health and sanitation department has been given importance and it has been increased to Rs 500 crore.
GHMC proposes major thrust for infrastructure in budget
The Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) unveiled a Rs 5,550 crore draft budget for the year 2015-16 with revenue expenditure proposed at Rs 1,732 crore and capital expenditure at Rs 3,818 crore. The health and sanitation department has been given importance and it has been increased to Rs 500 crore. The revenue and capital receipts of GHMC for the year 2015-16 has been put up for Rs 6,396 crore after the mandatory revenue surplus of Rs 846 crore, the budget is fixed at Rs 5,550 crore.
The other components of revenue expenditure include street lighting (Rs 225 crore), city infrastructure maintenance (Rs 192 crore), and urban community development (Rs 46 crore).The capital expenditure that comprises new and major infrastructure works is estimated at Rs 3,818 crore. The main components of capital expenditure include road infrastructure (Rs 1,956 crore), amenities and services (Rs 605 crore), slum free hyderabad (Rs 537 crore), public conveniences (Rs 283 crore), Green Hyderabad (Rs 150 crore), environment, heritage, culture and tourism (Rs 130 crore) and Smart Hyderabad City (Rs 90 crore).
- Rs 1,956 crore is earmarked for road development out of which Rs 1,000 crore is exclusively factored in for Strategic Road Development Programme (SRDP)
- Rs 200 crore is allotted for storm water drains
- A sum of Rs 450 crore is allotted for two-bedroom houses in the budget
- Rs 37 crore is budgeted for beggar free city, night shelters for homeless and Rs 5 food scheme
- Under public convenience Rs 283 crore is allotted. A sum of Rs 60 crore set up for playgrounds and gyms.
- Modern markets (Rs 70 crore), graveyards (Rs 50 crore) and for modernisation of dhobi ghats (Rs 10 crore)
- In a bid to turn the city into green Hyderabad, a sum of Rs 150 crore is allotted to create more lung space. The funds would be used for Parks, Telangana Haritha Haram (THH) and lakes.
- 50 lakh seedlings would be planted in GHMC limits in 2015.
- eLibraries planned at 200 locations for which Rs 25 crore is allotted
- Introduction of smart address system to give citizens 8 digit addresses for citizens. Rs 5 crore is allotted.
- Rs 10 crore allotted for free wi-fi in Hyderabad.
Environment, Heritage, Culture, Tourism
- Rs 60 crore is set aside for Musi rejuvenation.
- Rs 40 crore for heritage corridors
- Rs 10 crore for the promotion of Telangana culture
- 14 gateways planned at major entrances at a cost of Rs 20 crore