Top

Dzhokhar apparently used cell phone to blow up bomb

Dzhokhar apparently used cell phone to blow up bomb
Highlights

Boston (PTI): Chechen-origin teenager Dzhokhar Tsarnaev apparently used his cell phone to blow up the pressure cooker bomb at the Boston Marathon last...

act2Boston (PTI): Chechen-origin teenager Dzhokhar Tsarnaev apparently used his cell phone to blow up the pressure cooker bomb at the Boston Marathon last week that killed three people and wounded nearly 200 others, according to a criminal complaint filed by the FBI.

The FBI alleges that the suspect appeared calm while there was chaos all around after the blasts at the finish line of the marathon on April 15. It filed the complaint against 19-year-old Dzhokhar, as he was produced before a district court which temporarily was his hospital room.

The court fixed May 30 for Dzhokhar's first hearing in Massachusetts District court. Dzhokhar is charged with conspiring to use "weapon of mass destruction" and faces death penalty if convicted.

In the 10-page complaint, FBI special agent Daniel Geneck gives the sequence of events and the information to sufficient to establish the requisite probable cause. "It does not include each and every fact known to me," he said.

Geneck said, the two suspect - Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev - were first spotted near the bombing site 11 minutes before the first bomb explosion.

Thereafter, the two were seen moving towards the Marathon finish line. At some point Dzhokhar appears to look at his phone, which is held at approximately waist level, and may be manipulating the phone, Geneck said.

"Approximately 30 seconds before the first explosion, he lifts his phone to his ear as if he is speaking on his cell phone, and keeps it there for approximately 18 seconds. A few seconds after he finishes the call, the large crowd of people around him can be seen reacting to the first explosion," the complaint said.

'Acted at behest of brother' Boston (PTI): Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the alleged Boston blasts suspect, has told US investigators that he acted on behalf of his elder brother Tamerlan and no foreign terror group was behind them, according to a media report. Quoting unnamed official sources, having access to the ongoing interrogation of Dzhokhar, CNN said preliminary interviews with him indicated the two brothers fit the classification of self-radicalised jihadists. In his preliminary interrogation, through written statements, as he can't speak now, he is believed to have said that his brother - who was killed last week - wanted to defend Islam from attack.
Show Full Article
Print Article
Download The Hans India Android App or iOS App for the Latest update on your phone.
Subscribed Failed...
Subscribed Successfully...
More Stories
Top