Diana's death investigation : Role of UK military under lens
Scotland Yard is examining the 'relevance and credibility' of new information, allegedly that the British military was involved, in the deaths of...
London (PTI): Scotland Yard is examining the "relevance and credibility" of new information, allegedly that the British military was involved, in the deaths of Princess Diana, her boyfriend Dodi Al Fayed and driver in a car crash in Paris in 1997. Scotland Yard did not elaborate on the information, or its source, but Sky News reported that it had come from the former parents-in-law of a former British soldier and had been passed on by the Royal Military police. However, The Metropolitan Police said in a statement that it was "not a re-investigation" into the deaths of the couple, who were killed in a car crash in Paris on August 31, 1997 along with their driver, Henri Paul.
The police said it is "scoping" the details and "assessing relevance and credibility" of the information.
The assessment would be carried out by officers from the Specialist Crime and Operations Command, the police said.
The assessment did not come under Operation Paget, the police inquiry which investigated allegations that Diana and Dodi were murdered, a theory endorsed by Dodi's father Mohamed Al Fayed.
In December 2006, the Operation Paget report said it had found no evidence that the couple were murdered. Princess Diana, the former wife of the Prince of Wales and the mother of Princes William and Harry, was 36 when she died alongside Al Fayed, 42.
Paul was driving when their hired Mercedes crashed into a pillar in Paris's Pont de l'Alma tunnel. The crash happened after the couple had left the Ritz Hotel and were pursued by paparazzi on motorbikes. Al Fayed's bodyguard, Trevor Rees-Jones, was the only survivor.
Charles has ‘moles’ in govt depts
London (PTI): Prince Charles has "moles" in the British government with some of his staff members secretly working full-time in key departments linked to his interests, a media report said on Sunday. One of the Prince's employee spent two years at the Cabinet Office while another was seconded to a rural policy team at Defra, the environment and food ministry, for 14 months, The Sunday Times reported. Several current and former ministers said they had not been informed of the placements and expressed surprise and irritation at not being told.
Harry wants landmines cleared
London (PTI): Prince Harry has a ‘bee in his bonnet’ that some nations which supplied landmines are not helping with the clearance effort, a cause championed by his late mother, Princess Diana. "He is irritated about the countries that supplied these landmines are not actually putting in any funds to clear them 25 years later," the head of the Halo Trust, Guy Willoughby said. "He has got quite a bee in his bonnet about that, and that is good," Willoughby said after the 28-year-old prince travelled to Angola earlier this month to see the charity's mine clearance work.