- Delhi HC dismisses plea for transfer of matter, says grounds must be reasonable
- CAQM Sub-Committee reverses GRAP stage-III air quality measures in Delhi-NCR
- Military Lit Festival to be inaugurated on December 2 in Punjab
- BHEL signs MoU with EDF France for collaboration on Jaitapur NPP
- HSBC facing a 'hit' of over £6.3 bn as a result of unsecured commercial property loans into China: Report
- ECI non-committal over Mizoram NGO body’s demand to move counting date from Sunday
- AWS launches palm-scanning authentication service for companies
- Three held for assaulting students of DAV school in Patna
- Deal for anti-missile/anti-aircraft point defence weapon system for Indian Navy signed
- Climate change to spur bat expansion, rabies virus spillover in US: Study
Outgoing Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon bids farewell to UN
Outgoing UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Friday bid farewell to the United Nations where he has worked for 10 years.
United Nations: Outgoing UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Friday bid farewell to the United Nations where he has worked for 10 years.
Ban said "thank you" to UN staff here at UN headquarters before his departure and encouraged them to keep working hard on UN causes and never give up, Xinhua news agency reported.
A crowd of UN officials, staff members, diplomats gathered here to see him off.
Ban told the crowd that he will join the New Year celebration at the Times Square in New York City on Saturday.
He will push the button beginning the official 60-second countdown to the New Year, and call on people worldwide to take actions in support of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
"Millions of people will be watching as I lose my job," he quipped. "Now I feel a bit like Cinderella. Tomorrow at midnight, everything changes."
Ban's tenure as the eighth UN Secretary-General started on January 1, 2007 and will end on December 31, 2016.
Portugal's Antonio Guterres will succeed Ban on January 1, 2017.