Shoo away summer skin woes with useful tips
Shoo away summer skin woes with useful tips. The rising temperature brings skin and hair problmes like rashes, acne, tanning, skin and scalp infection and splitends. From exfoliating to avoiding chemicals, experts dole out various tips to protect skin and tresses during summer.
New Delhi: The rising temperature brings skin and hair problmes like rashes, acne, tanning, skin and scalp infection and splitends. From exfoliating to avoiding chemicals, experts dole out various tips to protect skin and tresses during summer.
Sangeeta Amladi, head, medical services at Kaya Skin Clinic, recommends tips for a carefree and skin friendly summer:
* Screen the sun: Small exposures to sun are beneficial for the skin and essential for production of vitamin D. However, prolonged exposure to solar UV radiation may have a hazardous impact on the skin. Not all sunscreens are made alike, so SPF (Sun protection factor) 30 is best recommended for Indian skin types. Apply sun screen 20 to 30 minutes before stepping out and ensure you wear sunscreen every day, even when you stay indoors.
* Follow the essential routine: From dry air-conditioned homes to walks in the steamy and sweaty weather outside, one needs to pay special attention to summer skincare. Follow the cleansing, toning and moisturising ritual twice a day for best results.
* Exfoliate: Incorporating exfoliation into your skin care regime is a must to avoid dull skin! Exfoliants remove old, dry, dead skin cells, toxins and other deposits and allow new skin cells to surface. Scrub your elbows and knees at least twice a week to get rid of dead tissues. Rub a slice of lemon with sugar every alternate day to keep them clean and to remove tan.
* Hair Woes: Since hair tends to be moisture-deprived during summers, overuse of any kind of chemical and hair styling tool should be avoided. Shampooing often results in loss of shine and moisture. Consider switching to a gentle shampoo and use a deep conditioner to replenish the loss of moisture. Massage your hair with a mixture of coconut oil, castor and olive oil regularly to keep your hair nourished. And if you are one of them who are open to homemade remedies, whisk 2 egg yolks with 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and apply this mask on the bottom 2/3rds of your hair. Wash off after 15 minutes.
* Happy Feet: During summers our feet become the target of a variety of potential foot maladies including eczema, fungal infections, and socially embarrassing "smelly feet”. Start with wearing an open sandal in the summer to keep your feet dry and give them a chance to "breathe". Your feet are subject to sunburn just like the rest of your body. Use sunscreen during the day and during the evenings apply a lightweight moisturizer.
A foot powder is a must as it helps to soak up excessive moisture that can breed fungi and bacteria. Head for a pedicure once every week. This will keep your foot clean. Trim your toe nails to avoid dirt and dust from accumulating under your toe nails.
* Maintain a healthy diet: Make fruits your best friends this summer. With summers in full swing, it is advised that apart from drinking lots of water, a special summer diet consisting of light and healthy food would ensure a cool mind and body. To keep your skin hydrated, eat lot of fresh fruits and green vegetables. Include fruits and vegetables like bitter gourd, spinach, cucumber, watermelons, oranges, cherries, plums and lychee to your diet. They are highly nutritious with an abundant supply of fiber, vitamins, anti-oxidants and minerals.