Punjabi woman dies of burns in Australia
Punjabi woman dies of burns in Australia, An Indian woman died here of burn injuries she sustained in a fire accident at her house earlier this week,...
SYDNEY: An Indian woman died here of burn injuries she sustained in a fire accident at her house earlier this week, a leading daily reported on Thursday.
Parwinder Kaur, 32, who came to Sydney from India with her husband five years ago, died of her burn injuries Tuesday at a hospital.
She suffered 85 percent burns on her body in the incident on Dec 2 (Monday), Sydney Morning Herald reported on Thursday.
Police are investigating the incident. Kaur had called on 000 (helpline number) for help on the day of the incident.
Neighbours witnessed the incident when Kaur, engulfed in fire, ran screaming out of her Rouse Hill home Dec 2 afternoon.
According to police, her husband Kulwinder Singh (34) tried to douse the fire with his hands.
"There was nothing left of her clothes. Her husband was screaming and she had a blanket over her, still smouldering," the witness was quoted as saying.
Detective Superintendent Rob Critchlow said the husband of the victim was being questioned, but there were conflicting versions of events.
Police said she had called on the helpline number earlier this year to report a domestic argument, but the spat was verbal and was resolved peacefully.
Parwinder Kaur reportedly worked at a farm to support herself and her husband.