11 bodies recovered
Chennai: Eleven Bodies Recovered, Eleven bodies have been recovered so far as massive rescue operations continued at the building collapse site at Mugalivakkam near Porur and Chennai police said they have arrested five persons in connection with the tragedy.
Police arrest owners, engineers
Chennai: Eleven bodies have been recovered so far as massive rescue operations continued at the building collapse site at Mugalivakkam near Porur and Chennai police said they have arrested five persons in connection with the tragedy.
Several persons are still believed to be trapped under the debris and hundreds of personnel are engaged in clearing the rubble as part of the rescue effort.
Two persons, who are believed to be the owners of the building, were arrested on Sunday along with two engineers as police rounded up five persons in connection with the incident and booked them under various sections of IPC, according to DGP Ramanjuam.
Two women, identified as Sujata and Krishnaveni, were pulled out from under the debris on Sunday, taking the number of those rescued to 30 so far, police said. “Rescue operations are on in full swing. Our priority is to locate survivors. We are using modern cameras to locate them and are watching closely for any voices from within the debris,” said NDRF DIG SP Selvan. Sniffer dogs, too, have been brought in to locate persons trapped in the rubble. Officials are speaking to those who have been rescued to gather information about the number of people who were in the building when the mishap struck. Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh each for the families of the deceased while Rs 50,000 has been extended to those who have been injured in the building collapse.
Roads near the building collapse site have been cleared to allow smooth conduct of rescue operations while Jayalalithaa has directed the Kancheepuram district administration to ensure medical treatment for the injured and also arrange for their safe journey back home at the government’s expense.
Many of those feared trapped under the debris are believed to hail from Andhra Pradesh.
Jayalalithaa visits site
Meanwhile, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sunday visited the site. She told the media:"Too early to say what went wrong, but appears to be a structural defect. Rescue operations are underway without respite. So far 31 people have been rescued, 11 are no more and 20 are receiving medical care in hospital.’