Army admits mistake; report in 10 days
The Indian Army on Friday took responsibility for the killing of two youths in Jammu and Kashmir\'s Budgam district on Monday.
Srinagar: The Indian Army on Friday took responsibility for the killing of two youths in Jammu and Kashmir's Budgam district on Monday. Addressing a press conference, Lt Gen DS Hooda, General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Northern Command, said that the Army was committed to ensuring such incidents don't take place.
Describing it as a case of "mistaken identity", Lt General DS Hooda said: "There was some information about a white car with terrorists. Obviously, the identity was mistaken in this case. We take responsibility for the deaths.”
The officer assured that highest standard of transparency will be followed to determine how this mistake took place. He added that action would be taken if rules had been violated. Fifteen civilian witnesses and service witnesses have been examined as part of the inquiry ordered following the incident. The inquiry will be completed in 10 days or so, he said.
With all the work done during floods, incidents like this take us back, said Lt General Hooda, adding: "We sincerely wish the incident would not have happened."
While responding to questions by media personnel, Lt General Hooda said the Army would refine its drills and come up with steps to make sure that such things do not occur again.
He further said that AFSPA has nothing to do with this incident.
The Army has announced Rs 10 lakh comthe kin of each of the deceased and Rs 5 lakh each for the injured.