ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Terrorists still holed up

Terrorists still holed up
Highlights

At least two more Jaish-e-Muhammed (JeM) terrorists are said to be holed up in Pathankot’s Indian Air Force base as security forces continued their operations for the second day on Sunday with military casualties mounting to seven, including a Lieutenant Colonel of the NSG who died on Sunday.

Pathankot operation underway

Lt Col among 7 security personnel killed in attack

Modi meets NSA, Foreign Secretary

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday chaired a high-level meeting with NSA Ajit Doval and Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar in the wake of terror strike at the IAF base. Modi held the meeting soon after his return after his two-day visit to Karnataka.

Pathankot : At least two more Jaish-e-Muhammed (JeM) terrorists are said to be holed up in Pathankot’s Indian Air Force base as security forces continued their operations for the second day on Sunday with military casualties mounting to seven, including a Lieutenant Colonel of the NSG who died on Sunday.

Lt Col Niranjan, a member of the NSG's Bomb Disposal Squad and a Kerala resident, died after he succumbed to injuries which he sustained while he was trying to retrieve a live grenade from the body of a dead terrorist at the scene of the terror attack on Saturday as part of the combing operations that continued through the night. Four other security men were also injured in the explosion.

Three Defence Security Corps (DSC) personnel also succumbed to injuries at the hospital here during the intervening night of January 2 and 3. A Garud commando and two members of the DSC were killed in the gunbattle on Saturday in which four Pakistan-based terrorists had also been eliminated during the gunbattle at the airbase, located barely 35 km from the Indo-Pak border.

"We are sure that still there are at least two more terrorists as firing have come from two different places. But we are not sure whether there are some more. We will come to know the number of terrorists only after the completion of the operation and body count," Union Home Secretary Rajiv Mehrishi told a press conference in Delhi.

The comments by Mehrishi came a day after Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh tweeted saying the operation had been completed with the killing of five terrorists. Singh later deleted his tweet. Mehrishi said four terrorists were killed in the gun-fight on Saturday while firing resumed on Sunday afternoon at two places in the air base. He said all the assets of the IAF were safe.

"A fresh contact has been established and there was brief firing," a senior Army official said in Pathankot. Air Commodore JS Dhamoon, Air Officer Commanding, Air Force Station Pathankot, said "the operations are at a mature stage. Operations will continue till the air base is cleared off any intruder or terrorist."

There was heavy but brief exchange of fire at the area of operation where additional reinforcements rushed as five companies, comprising nearly 500 personnel, were deployed by the army. The firing was still continuing, police officials said. Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar briefed Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the latest situation at the Pathankot air base. Both were present at a HAL function in Tumakuru in Karnataka.

Attack on Indian Consulate in Afghanistan
Unknown attackers targeted the Indian Consulate in Mazar-e-Sharif in northern Afghanistan late on Sunday. Two of the four
attackers have been killed by the special forces. The Consulate-General said that everyone in the Consulate is safe. There was big explosion heard all over the city followed by gun fire for about 20 minutes.

Show Full Article
Download The Hans India Android App or iOS App for the Latest update on your phone.
Subscribed Failed...
Subscribed Successfully...
More Stories


Top