Ankit Saxena
Ankit Saxena

A 23-year-old photographer was stabbed and his throat slit on a busy street in Delhi on Thursday evening.

According to the details, the act was of ‘honour’ killing allegedly by the father of a 20-year-old girl the victim was to marry shortly.

The deceased, Ankit Saxena was repeatedly beaten by the girl’s father and uncle before the former stabbed him and slit his throat. Ankit’s mother came to his rescue but was attacked by the girl's mother. The incident took place at 8.30 pm on Thursday in west Delhi's Raghuveer Nagar.

Ankit and the girl he loved were from different communities. The girl, who expressed fear of being killed by uncle's associates if she went back home has been provided security and sent to a shelter home.

The girl’s father, mother and uncle have been arrested for murder and have been sent to Tihar jail after being produced in court.

In a statement to the police, the girl said, "I was waiting for him at the Tagore Garden Metro station. He was on his way home to get his motorbike when someone informed me that he had been stabbed. My father and uncle have done all this."

Ankit’s family informed that he was returning from work but a call from the girl's father made him go back towards his studio. However, Ankit's mother Kamlesh, who has a broken rib shared that a youth from their neighbourhood came running to the house saying that Ankit was being beaten by a few people at the chowk on the main road. 

Once she reached the spot, Ankit's mother found the girl's father and uncle kicking him as he lay on the ground. While she intervened, it only resulted in the girl's mother pushing her to the footpath and kicked her in the chest.

She stated that the family accused her son of abducting their daughter. Despite her several pleas of her son being innocent, the family kept beating Ankit.

Eyewitnesses shared that Ankit tried saving his mother but was held by two of the youths, was allegedly stabbed by the girl's father who slit open his throat and fled.

While his mother rushed him to a hospital, he was declared brought dead at DDU.

Demanding death sentence for the accused, Ankit's family staged a protest at the Khyala police station in the evening. Police have recovered CCTV footage from the area which has captured the incident.