- Official: This is when ‘Tillu Square’ is hitting theatres
- MG Motor India and LOHUM Collaborate for ‘Second Life’ EV Battery Solution
- Environment Day observed at UoH
- Kerala High Court quashes POCSO case against mother for posting video of kids painting on her body
- Nearly 4K people lost their jobs in US due to AI in May: Report
- Android 14 may include advanced memory protection feature
- Delhi BJP accuses Kejriwal of 'insulting' national anthem
- Karnataka Budget to be tabled on July 7, says CM Siddaramaiah, as all eyes set to watch allocations for 'guarantees'
- WhatsApp rolling out new calling button on iOS beta
- Formula 1: Mercedes optimistic after significant progress shown at Spanish GP
Year's best beckons Saina
Kuala Lumpur (IANS): Indian badminton sensation Saina Nehwal was Wednesday nominated for the Badminton World Federation (BWF) Female Player of the...
Kuala Lumpur (IANS): Indian badminton sensation Saina Nehwal was Wednesday nominated for the Badminton World Federation (BWF) Female Player of the Year award for 2012. Along with Saina in the reckoning is World No.1 Li Xuerui of China, who copped eight titles in 2012 including the Olympic and year-ending crowns. Li's compatriot Wang Yihan, who won the Olympic silver in London, has also been nominated besides the winning Olympic women's doubles pair of Tian Qing and Zhao Yunlei (China). Should a pair win, they will share the annual award. The World No.2 Indian, in 2012, won the Indonesia Open Super Series Premier, Denmark Open Super Series Premier, Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold, and the Thailand Open Grand Prix Gold to add to the bronze medal she won at the London Olympics. Otherwise Chinese shuttlers dominated the nominations of the best badminton players of 2012. In the list of the Male Player of the Year are two-time Olympic gold medallist Lin Dan of China and his perennial rival Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei, the current World No.1 and a two-time Olympic silver medallist. Others in the category are Olympic bronze medallist and winner of the BWF World Super Series Finals Chen Long (China), men's doubles Olympic gold medallists Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng (China) and Lee Yong Dae and the now retired Jung Jae Sung (South Korea), who won the men's doubles bronze medal at London Games. The nominees for the Most Promising Player of the Year are Tai Tzu Ying (Chinese Taipei), Viktor Axelsen (Denmark), Kento Momota (Japan), Nozomi Okuhara (Japan), Ratchanok Intanon (Thailand) and Busnan Ongbumrungpan (Thailand). The announcement of the winners and the presentation of prizes will take place here May 18 following the BWF Annual General Meeting.