Wrestler Sakshi advances in women's 58kg freestyle at Rio.
Indian wrestler Sakshi Malik defeated Moldova\'s Mariana Esanu Cherdivara on a four point take down criteria in the women\'s Freestyle 58 kilogram qualification match to enter the 1/4 final round at the Rio Olympics here on Wednesday.
Rio de Janeiro: Indian wrestler Sakshi Malik defeated Moldova's Mariana Esanu Cherdivara on a four point take down criteria in the women's Freestyle 58 kilogram qualification match to enter the 1/4 final round at the Rio Olympics here on Wednesday.
The scoreline read 5-5 after two rounds. But the 23-year-old Indian was declared the winner having superior Class points 3-1 at the Carioca Arena 2 - MAT B.
The Rohtak-born grappler was trailing 0-3 initially, but upped her game to mount a successful comeback, clawing to 1-3 and then securing four successive points to lead 5-3.
Sakshi was unable to hold on to the lead as Mariana squared the contest on points.
But securing four consecutive points tilted the balance in her favour.
Sakshi defeated Sweden's Malin Johanna Mattson 5-4 in the qualification match earlier.
She will play against Russia's Valeriia Koblova in the 1/4 round match.
- Naxal killed in encounter in Dantewada, Chhattisgarh
- Amethi ex-pradhan murder: CM sets 12-hour deadline for arrest of culprits
- CBI issues lookout notice against ex-Kolkata Police chief
- Smriti Irani carries mortal remains of campaign aide shot in Amethi
- PM Modi to visit Varanasi tomorrow, hold roadshow