More Indian Less Chinese
Chinese cuisine gets an all new-meaning in India as it imbibes the local flavours, spices and ingredients and ceases to be what it originally was....
Chinese cuisine gets an all new-meaning in India as it imbibes the local flavours, spices and ingredients and ceases to be what it originally was. But no one is complaining...
Chinese style Potato Vegetable
Potatoes (80% cooked) 4 large
Garlic (chopped lehsun) 1 tsp
Ginger (chopped adrak) 1/2 tsp
Green chillies (chopped) 1 tsp
Tomato ketchup 1 tsp
Soy sauce 2 tbsp
Chilli sauce 1/2 tsp
Cornflour 2 tsp
Oil 4 tbsp
Salt to taste For Garnish Sliced spring onions
- Cut the cooked potatoes into fingers.
- Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan on a high flame. Add the potato fingers and cook on a high flame for a few minutes. Remove from the wok or frying pan and keep aside.
- In the same oil, add the garlic, ginger and green chillies and stir fry for a few seconds. Add the potato fingers, tomato ketchup, soya sauce, chilli sauce and salt.
- Mix the cornflour in 1/2 cup of water. Add to the mixture and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve hot topped with sliced spring onions.
Chinese Rice Topped with Creamy Vegetables
Steamed chinese rice tastes delicious when served along with a creamy vegetable sauce made of assorted veggies cooked in a milk and corn flour mixture. Keep the sauces and rice separate and pour the hot sauce on a serving of steaming hot rice just before eating. If you’re in the mood for a one-dish dinner, this is ideal. A sumptuous meal that you will relish till the last bite!
Preparation Time: 15 mins,
Cooking Time: 10 mins,
Makes 4 servings
For The Creamy Vegetables
Oil 2 tbsp
Cauliflower or broccoli
florets (parboiled) 10 to 12
Baby corn (sliced
diagonally and parboiled) 8 to 10
Capsicum cubes 1/4 cup
Sliced carrots (parboiled) 3/4 cup
Sliced spring onions 1/4 cup
Sliced cucumber 1/4 cup
Milk 1/3 cup
Cornflour 1 tbsp
Sugar 2 pinches
Salt to taste
chinese rice 2 cups
For the creamy vegetables
- Heat the oil in a wok or kadhai on a high flame till it smokes.
- Add the cauliflower, baby corn, capsicum, carrots, spring onions, cucumber and sauté on a high flame for 2 minutes.
- Combine the milk, cornflour and ½ cup of water in a bowl and mix well.
- Add to the vegetables, mix well and cook on a high flame for a minute (if the mixture is too thick, add a little more water).
- Add the sugar and salt and cook on a high flame for another few minutes, while stirring continuously.
How to proceed
Place the rice in a serving dish, top with the creamy vegetables and serve immediately.
- Put the stock to boil in a large pan.
- Add the mushrooms and carrots and simmer till the vegetables are tender.
- Add the spinach leaves and salt and boil for a few more seconds.
- Trickle the oil on top.
- Serve hot with chillies in vinegar.