Nutritious & delicious
Mattar (green peas) is a versatile vegetable and are quite wholesome. They make a great combination with other veggies and you can make a number of...
Mattar (green peas) is a versatile vegetable and are quite wholesome. They make a great combination with other veggies and you can make a number of dishes with it. Here are a few recipes of green peas, which are healthy and tasty
Mattar ka Nimona
It’s a green coarse gravy made from fresh peas. You can add any tempering of your choice and any veggies to it.
Fresh peas 1 cup
Desi ghee 2 tbsp
Black pepper powder 1 tsp
Cumin powder 1tsp
Corriander powder 1 tsp
Ginger chopped 1 inch
Green chillies chopped 1
Whole jeera 1 tsp
Boiled potatoe 2
Sliced (or even fried moong dal vadas, cauliflower or paneer)
Bay leaf 1
Salt to taste
- Grind fresh peas, ginger and green chillies without water and make a coarse paste.
- Keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a nonstick pan, put in cumin seeds and bay leaf.
- Add the coarse peas paste. Sautee on low heat for 5-6 minutes and then add the spices.
- Add salt and keep frying on low heat till you see ghee leaving the sides of the paste.
- Add boiled sliced potatoes and sauté gently for two mins.
- Add 2 cups of water.
- Let it simmer for half an hour or till the consistency you prefer.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
Sukkey Aloo Mattar
Potatoes (large size boiled) 5
Peas (fresh) 1 cup
Onion (large sliced) 1
Ginger (julienned) 2-inch piece
Green chilies 4 sliced
Cumin seeds ½ tsp
Mustard seeds ½ tsp
Fennel seeds ½ tsp
Fenugreek seeds a pinch
Hing a pinch
Turmeric powder ½ tsp
Chili powder 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Jaggery 1 tsp grated
Lemon juice 2 tbs
Mustard oil 4 tbs
Kasoori methi a generous pinch
Salt to taste
- Peel and cut the boiled potatoes in large chunks.
- Bring mustard oil to smoking point, remove and cool a little.
- Reheat and splutter the mustard, cumin, fennel and fenugreek seeds.
- Add sliced onion and sauté on medium till light golden.
- Add hing and ginger juliennes and sauté till ginger turns light brown.
- Add potatoes and green chilies and sauté on high heat for 2 minutes reduce heat to medium and sauté for few more minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, chili powder, grated jaggery and salt mix well and sauté for two minutes.
- Add peas and kasoori methi, mix well, cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle lemon juice, mix well and serve with hot with rotis
Red Indian Peas
Arrange boiled peas and other veggies as per the picture and you'll definitely have fussy kids enjoying their peas a bit more!
Paneer (cottage cheese) 150 gm
Onions (medium size) 2
Tomato (medium size) 1
Oil 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Kashmiri mirch powder 1/2 tsp
Coriander and cumin powder (1/2 tsp each of)
Kasuri methi 1/4 spoon
Green chillies 2
Ginger 1/2 inch
Cloves of garlic 4-5
Fresh coriander for garnishing
Salt to Taste
- Heat some oil in a pan, then add ginger/garlic/green chillies/onion paste to the oil.
- When the mixture turns brown, add tomato and cashew purée.
- Cook the mixture for about 5 mins on slow flame.
- Add kasuri methi, coriander, cumin, turmeric and Kashmiri mirch powders, and mix all ingredients nicely.
- Add green peas and cook till they’re done.
- Then add small pieces of slightly brown shallow fried paneer to the gravy.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot.