- Tanisha-Ashwini finishes runner-up in Syed Modi India International badminton
- 17 of 25 ministers in Cong govt lose Rajasthan assembly elections
- Shivraj win Budhni by over 1 lakh votes, Kamal Nath secures victory from Chhindwara by 36K votes
- Israeli president honours fallen heroes of Kibbutz Be'eri by inscribing Torah Scroll
- Cyclone Michaung: In constant touch with state governments, says PM Modi
- Now, IndiGo faces criticism over delays from former Union Minister
- 5th T20I: Shreyas Iyer's fifty helps India reach 160/8 against Australia
- 193 people killed in IDF attack in last few hours: Gaza Health Ministry
- MP Diya Kumari wins by 71,368 votes, biggest victory margin in Rajasthan
- MP Assembly polls: Union Ministers Tomar, Prahlad Patel, BJP General Secy Vijayvargiya win, Kulaste loses
Cong again disrupts RS over airport issue
The Congress on Thursday raised the issue of renaming the Hyderabad airport again in the Rajya Sabha, forcing several adjournments. A few questions were taken up, even as Congress members protested near the chairman\'s podium.
New Delhi: The Congress on Thursday raised the issue of renaming the Hyderabad airport again in the Rajya Sabha, forcing several adjournments. A few questions were taken up, even as Congress members protested near the chairman's podium.
Raising the issue as soon as the house met at 11 a.m.V Hanumantha Rao accused the government of taking "political advantage". Deputy Chairman P.J. Kurien tried to pacify him, saying: "You are not the only person having love for Rajiv Gandhi..I have equal respect for Rajiv Gandhi."
"The issue was raised yesterday (Wednesday), it was responded to by the Finance Minister (Arun Jaitley). If you want to raise the issue again, come with proper notice," Kurien said. Agitated Congress members, however, trooped near the chairman's podium raising slogans, forcing the chair to adjourn the House for 10 minutes.
When the House met again, zero hour resumed. However, as soon as the question hour began at noon, Congress members were on their feet again, protesting.
Amid the din, Chairman M. Hamid Ansari tried to take up the question hour. However, as Congress members raised slogans near his podium, the House was adjourned for 10 minutes again. The scene was the same when the House re-assembled. After taking some questions amid the protests, the chairman adjourned the House till 2 p.m.
The Congress was protesting naming of the airport’s domestic terminal after Telugu Desam Party founder NT Rama Rao. The Centre, however, clarified that the international terminal continues to be named after Rajiv Gandhi and the domestic terminal has been named after NTR. The Rajya Sabha has been seeing protests over the issue for the past two days.