Top

SC to hear case this week

SC to hear case this week
Highlights

SC to Hear Case This Week, Modification Petition, APPSC. The Supreme Court is set to hear the case pertaining to Group I appointments row sometime...

The Supreme Court is set to hear the case pertaining to Group I appointments row sometime this week. APPSC has filed a ‘modification petition’ in the apex court seeking a review of the judgment delivered on September 7, virtually annulling the selection list. The Commission has urged the Court to have a relook at the judgment since it is physically impossible to conduct Mains and interviews again at this juncture. The Commission in its petition has reportedly mentioned the process of bifurcation of the state and observed that the issue of appointments has to be speeded up in view of the division.

A two-judge bench comprising Justice J Chalameswar and Justice J L Gokhale has cancelled the merit lists and directed the Commission to make a fresh list after deleting six erroneous questions in preliminary examination. It asked the Commission to hold the Mains and interviews again, thereby, bringing the entire process to a naught. If it is to be implemented, except prelims, everything has to be conducted again.
The Commission after a thorough internal discussion has sought legal advice from the government and it is learnt that the Advocate General, has favored filing of modification petition. The Commission has told the Bench that “if the six erroneous questions are deleted, only 209 candidates would get qualified for the Mains. So, the Mains can be conducted to those 209 candidates and there is no need to hold the test again for all the 16,246 candidates who have originally qualified”. The Commission in its petition has expressed its willingness to hold the test to those 209 candidates who would be declared eligible for Mains. It sought modification of the judgment given.
But it is doubtful whether the 209 candidates, who would be declared qualified, agree for an immediate test. “Mains are somewhat tough and requires months of focused study. We have to start afresh. The Commission has to give us a minimum of six months time” Vinay Sampat of Visakhapatnam, an aspirant who lost the chance last time, argued. The Commission is also under pressure from the other aspirants who have been demanding that the Mains examinations should be held for all the candidates as per the Supreme Court directive. “Why should it be confined to just 209 candidates? Let it be opened for all the 16,000 plus candidates” Noor Mohammed, President of SFI said.
Row over Group I exams been raging fire for over an year now. The original notification was released in November 2011 for filling up of 320 posts and the preliminary exam was conducted on May 27, 2012. Nearly 72.51 per cent of candidates out of a total of 3,03,712 have appeared for the exam, which was held at 740 centres across the State. And out of them a total of 16,246 students were declared qualified for the Mains.
But a controversy has erupted after the publication of Key of prelims. Several students have complained that as many as six questions were given wrong answers and demanded that either marks should be added for those questions or the entire prelims should be cancelled. But the Commission did not pay heed to the demand and went ahead. Added to this, the commission has stirred up another controversy by reducing the cut off marks for the Mains- resulting in making nearly 845 aspirants ineligible for the exam. Dharnas, rasta rokos, fasts, representations to ministers followed but of no avail. Unfazed, the Commission had conducted the Mains from September 18 to 28 last year and even the oral interviews from January 28 to March 22 this year.
Show Full Article
Print Article

Download The Hans India Android App or iOS App for the Latest update on your phone.
Subscribed Failed...
Subscribed Successfully...
Next Story
More Stories