Tadipatri: In a tragedy caused by leak of carbon monoxide in the Steel Melting Shop (SMS) of Gerdaue Steel Plant, six workers were killed and four more were injured here on Thursday. According to local sources, the mishap occurred in the evening when workers were busily engaged in welding works. Suddenly, Carbon Monoxide leaked from the SMS unit. Two workers died after inhaling the poisonous gas while four others died while being taken to the local government hospital.
The deceased have been identified as B.Ranganath(21), K.Manoj Kumar (24), U Gangadhar (37), S Ashwin Basha (38), K Siva Maddileti (26) and Guruvaiah (40).
Four others who were injured are being treated at the government hospital in GGH in Anantapur town. According to factory sources, this was the second time, a mishap of this kind had occurred. In 2008 two workers died due to the similar gas leak and four workers were injured. Meanwhile the factory management announced a compensation Rs.5 lakhs to the kin of the deceased.