- Congress Government's Assurances Goes through a tough Quality check
- Eatala to be appointed as chairman of campaign committee: BJP sources
- Karwar Port Triumphs Over Legal Challenges, Paving the Way for 1.15 Million MT Iron Ore Export
- CM Cup 2023: Hyderabad beats Jogulamba Gadwal to secure 1st spot in soccer
- Writers have a bigger responsibility to play in society: K Kavitha
- Hyderabad: Celebrities urged not to promote tobacco
- BRS MP Santosh thanks BCCI for the green initiative
- The magic of mirrors
- Eating junk food is linked to lower quality of deep sleep: study
- Beat The Heat! Beware and prepare for heat related illness
PML-N appeals for poll deadline extension
The Pakistan Muslim LeagueNawaz PMLN on Wednesday appealed to the Election Commission of Pakistan ECP to extend the deadline for polling by an hour
Islamabad [Pakistan]: The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) on Wednesday appealed to the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) to extend the deadline for polling by an hour.
In a letter written to the Chief Election Commissioner, Senator Mushahid Hussain cited the "long lines of voters" in almost every constituency, while only three-four individuals were allowed to enter the booth at a time to cast their vote.
"On the basis of reports that have been received from PML-N candidates from almost all constituencies of Pakistan, I would like to kindly request you to extend the polling time by at least one hour, from 6 pm to 7 pm, given that there are long lines of voters waiting in the queue, while only three to four persons are allowed to enter the polling station at a time to cast their vote. The PML-N is making this demand under Section 70 of the Election Act 2017, which authorizes ECP to 'extend polling hours already fixed'," the letter read.
"This is not only causing inconvenience to voters standing in lines in the hot and humid weather, but it also may end up depriving people from their right to vote because of this tedious, slow, cumbersome voting procedure adopted by personnel at almost all the polling stations in Pakistan," Hussain added in the letter.
The PML-N also released a picture of the letter on its official Twitter account, saying, "PML-N has requested the Election Commission of Pakistan for an extension of the polling time by one hour."
مسلم لیگ ن کا الیکشن کمشن سے پولنگ کا ٹائم ایک گھنٹہ بڑھانے کا مطالبہ pic.twitter.com/fMcr7LlMXs— PML(N) (@pmln_org) July 25, 2018
According to Geo News, the electoral body said it has not received the letter yet, and it will hold a consultation upon receiving it.
Earlier, the ECP activated its Results Transmission System (RTS), an Android application which enables election officers to send the results to the ECP in real time, The Dawn reported.
Polling started at 8 AM on Wednesday and, as of now, will conclude at 6 PM.