- State must side with the weaker population: CJI DY Chandrachud
- PIL filed against 75% reservation at BJP's behest: Tejashwi Yadav
- Days after Silkyara tunnel rescue op, U'khand CM calls on PM, discusses several projects
- India's energy requirement set to double by end of this decade: Mukesh Ambani
- No property tax for rural residential areas in Delhi: MCD Mayor
- Sharad Pawar’s pearls of political wisdom - 'NCP deserters are doomed'
- Western India Squash: National champion Anahat Singh given top seeding in women's singles, girls' U19 sections
- BJP damaged reputation of central agencies: Congress on arrest of ED official in TN
- Govt ready for structured debates in Winter Session: Parliamentary Affairs Minister Joshi
- Congress writes to PM Modi for implementation of Mandal Commission recommendations in Deemed varsities
Tirupati: Gandla members lighting Bharani Deepam atop Kapilatheeratham
Bharani Deepam, a traditional religious fete on Karthika Deepam Day was lit atop Kapilatheertham on Tirumala hills here on Sunday
Tirupati: Bharani Deepam, a traditional religious fete on Karthika Deepam Day was lit atop Kapilatheertham on Tirumala hills here on Sunday. A group of people belonging to Gandla community in the city following the age old tradition of their elders climbed the hills to light the Karthika Deepam, on the upper reach of Kapilatheertham waterfalls.
The community members first perform special poojas in the temple in Gandlamitta street (Vijaylakshmi street) in the city where they collect oil donated by the members in an earthen pot for Bharani Deepam.
Jagannatham, a businessman, who took part in the lightening of Bharathi Deepam said that the community members from Gandla start continuing the practice of lighting lamp atop Kapilatheertham on the day Karthika Deepam was observed in the famous Tiruvannamalai, in TN.
"We take prior permission from TTD vigilance department and Forest authorities for venturing into the forest to reach the spot on Tirumala hills near Kapilathertham waterfalls where the Deepam is lit every year following the age old tradition of our community,'' he averred.
Karthika Deepam festival was also observed in Omkara Jyothirlingeswara Swamy temple at Vedallachruvu in Renigunta mandal. On the occasion, devotees lit the lamp atop temple Dwajasthambham.
BJP leader and Rayalaseema Rangasthali Cultural Association president Gundala Gopinath Reddy said that every year Karthika Deepam festival was observed in the shrine.
Marking the occasion, Gopinath along with A Munikrishnaiha Yadav and others distributed essentials to the families, who were affected in the flash floods in the mandal due to cyclone a few days back.
Karthika Deepotsavam was observed in TTD Kapileswara temple amidst religious fervour coinciding with Bharani star.
Following the age old temple practice, the priests first lit the lamp in the sanctum sanctorum (Garbhalayam) followed by in the entire temple complex including atop the temple tower (Gopuram), Kamakshi Ammavaru temple and Dwajasthambham.
In the Unjal mandapam the earthen lamps arranged in the shape of Lingam and Trisulam attracted the attention of the devotees.