‘America against hate in any form’: Trump condemns Kansas shooting
America stands united in condemning hate and evil in all its forms, US President Donald Trump on Wednesday said as he broke his silence on the fatal...
America stands united in condemning hate and evil in all its forms, US President Donald Trump on Wednesday said as he broke his silence on the fatal Kansas shooting in which an Indian techie Srinivas Kuchibhotla was killed.
The President spoke about the incident during his maiden speech to the US Congress. "Recent threats targeting Jewish Community Centres and vandalism of Jewish cemeteries, as well as last week's shooting in Kansas City, remind us that while we may be nation divided on policies, we are a country that stands united in condemning hate and evil in all its forms," Trump said.
Kuchibhotla, 32, was killed and Madasani, another Indian of the same age, was injured in the shooting by navy veteran Adam Purinton, who yelled "terrorist" and "get out of my country" before opening fire on them.
A 24-year-old American named Ian Grillot who tried to defend the Indians also received injuries in the firing that took place last Wednesday. Purinton, 51, apparently mistook the Indians for immigrants from the Middle East.
By mentioning Kansas, Trump in his maiden address to the US Congress heeded to the call being made by a host of Indian-American organisations and lawmakers to publicly condemn the fatal Kansas shooting which is being investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) as a hate crime.
"I've been clear that the President must use this amazing platform to condemn this hateful act in no uncertain terms and send a powerful message that no American should be fearful in their own community,” Republican Congressman from Kansas Kevin Yoder had urged Trump earlier.
He further added, "Diverse political and religious views are what make our country great, and I look forward to him utilising this opportunity tonight."
"...I've been in contact with the White House regarding the senseless tragedy last week in Olathe that claimed the life of Srinivas Kuchibhotla and injured Alok Madasani and Ian Grill," Yoder said.
In the address, Trump has also pushed the interest of country's citizens to fore with his 'Buy American, Hire American' strategy and has called for the repeal of Obamacare.
Trump will also implement a merit-based immigration policy, create more jobs for Americans and create a level playing ground for American businesses and employees.
During a turbulent first 40 days in office, Trump has put homeland security front and centre -- proposing immigration bans, border walls and a roughly 10 percent budget boost in national security.
Here are the highlights:
- I am also asking all the people watching to believe in yourselves, in dreams and in America once again. Thank you and God bless America!
- The time for trivial fights is behind us. America will be a power of our aspirations. Inspired by a future, not limited by fears. I am asking all congressmen to join me in achieving this dream.
- Hopefully, the 250th year for America will see a world that is more peaceful, more just and more free.
- Millions lifted from welfare to work is not too much to expect.
- We all bleed the same blood. We all salute the same great American flag. And we are all made by the same God.
- America will forge new friendships, ties with countries having shared interests. We have become friends with former enemies.
- We know America is better off with less conflict.
- My job is not to represent the world, it is to represent the United States of America.
- To those allies who wonder what kind of friend America will be, look no further than the heroes who wear our uniform.
- We strongly support NATO that dethroned fascism and the Cold War and defeated communism.
- But our partners must meet their financial obligations. Now, they are beginning to do just that. I can tell you the money is pouring in.
- We will respect historic institutions, but we will also respect the foreign rights of nations and they have to respect our rights.
- We expect our partners, whether middle-east or other, to pay their share of the military expenses.
- But to create this future, we must work with - not against - the men and women of law enforcement.
- Every American child should be able to grow up in a safe community, to attend a great school, and to have access to a high-paying job.
- President Trump calls on lawmakers to ensure paid family leave.
- I am calling upon members of both parties to pass an education bill that funds school choice for disadvantaged youth
- Those seeking to enter a country ought to be able to support themselves financially.
- To those who wonder what kind of an ally US will be look no further than heroes who wear our uniform.
- To keep America Safe we must provide the men and women of the United States military with the tools they need.
- I am sending the Congress a budget that rebuilds the military.
- My budget will also increase funding for our veterans. Our veterans have delivered for this nation and now we must deliver for them.
- Education is the civil rights issue of our time.
- An incredible young woman is among us who inspires us. Today is 'rare disease' day and we have a survivor present here in Megan Crowley. Diagnosed with Pompe disease at 15 months, she was not expected to live past 5. On receiving this news, her dad fought with everything he had. He founded a company to find a cure. Today she is 20 and a sophomore at Notre Dame.
- True love for our people requires us to find common ground, to advance the common good.
- Democrats and Republicans should get together and unite for the good of our country, and for the good of the American people.
- Obamacare is collapsing and we must act decisively to protect all Americans.
- Tonight, I am also calling on this Congress to repeal and replace Obamacare.
- It is time to give Americans the freedom to buy health insurance across state lines.
- Buy American, hire American.
- US spent 6 trillion dollars while our own infrastructure was crumbling. We could have rebuilt our country twice, maybe thrice if we had people who could negotiate.
- We will work together with Democrats to achieve an outcome that has been out of reach for years.
- I am not going to let America and its great companies and workers be taken advantage of any longer.
- Countries like Australia among others have a merit–based immigration system.
- ISIS kills Muslims, Christians, people from all faiths. We vow to destroy it with help of our allies including in Muslim world.
- We are also taking strong measures to protect our nation from radical Islamic terrorism.
- We will soon begin the construction of a great, great wall along our southern border.
- We will increase wages, help the unemployed, make it safer for communities and save billions of dollars.
- In alliance with Candian prime minister Trudeau, a council has been formed to help women entrepreneurs.
- I will not allow the mistakes of recent decades past to define the course of our future.
- We must create a level playing field for American companies and our workers.
- I believe strongly in free trade but it also has to be fair trade. It's time we heeded The first Republican President Lincoln's advice.
- We must restart the engine of the American economy, making it easier for companies to do business in the US & much harder for them to leave
- When we ship products out of US, countries charge us a lot in tariffs. Whereas when they export their products into US, we charge them nothing.
- Our trade deficit in goods with the world last year was nearly $800 billion.
- Right now, American companies are taxed at one of the highest rates anywhere in the world.
- Harley Davidson told me its hard to do business with others because other nations tax their motorcycles at 100 per cent. They didn't ask for a change but I AM!
- In the last 8 years, the past Administration has put on more new debt than nearly all other Presidents combined.
- Ninety-four million Americans are out of the labour force.
- I have... reaffirmed our unbreakable alliance with the State of Israel.
- America must put its own citizens first, because only then can we truly make America great again.
- We have left our own borders open for anyone to cross while we defended the borders of other nations.
- Surge of optimism is placing impossible dreams firmly within our grasp.What we are witnessing today is renewal of American spirit.
- We condemn hate in all its ugly forms, the threats targeting Jewish centres and the Kansas shooting
- The president also condemned the shooting of an Indian engineer, an incident that has raised several questions about hate crime and safety of Indians in America.