ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Chinese withdrew from Ladakh after flag meet: Rajnath

Chinese withdrew from Ladakh after flag meet: Rajnath
Highlights

Virtually admitting that Chinese herdsmen had entered the Indian territory in Ladakh last week, the government on Monday said the men withdrew from the position after a flag meeting between the two countries’ armies.

New Delhi: Virtually admitting that Chinese herdsmen had entered the Indian territory in Ladakh last week, the government on Monday said the men withdrew from the position after a flag meeting between the two countries’ armies.
Indian and Chinese officers before the meeting (file photo)
“The Chinese went back after the flag meeting,” home minister Rajnath Singh told reporters in the capital when asked about the reported incursion last week.

The incident is reported to have taken place on 25 July at the Charding Nilu Nullah junction in the Demchok sector along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Jammu and Kashmir. An Indian patrolling team was dispatched to the spot and later a team of China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) also reached there.

The reports suggested that a flag meeting between the commanders from both sides finally resulted in the Chinese agreeing to move back the herdsmen a day after.

Last fortnight, Chinese troops reportedly made two incursion attempts in Demchok and Chumar areas of Ladakh sector in Jammu and Kashmir but were pushed back into their territory by Indian security personnel.

The two incursion bids by the PLA came even as Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping emphasized the need to find a solution to the boundary question during their meeting in Fortaleza, Brazil, on the sidelines of the Brics summit.

The latest incident occurred in Charding Nilu Nullah Junction (CNNJ) in Demchok sector when PLA personnel entered the area on their vehicles claiming it to be Chinese territory. The PLA soldiers who wanted to have a round of the area were stopped by the Indian army and Indo Tibetan border police (ITBP) personnel.

After a 30-minute stand-off, followed by a banner drill where both the countries’ armies warned each other against moving a step forward, the PLA returned to their side, people with knowledge of the matter said.

Show Full Article
Download The Hans India Android App or iOS App for the Latest update on your phone.
Subscribed Failed...
Subscribed Successfully...
More Stories


Top