- Suspected IED blast kills student in Manipur, another injured
- Asian Track Cycling: Arshad Shaikh, Jyoti Gaderiya win their third gold; Harshita bags silver as India claims four medals
- Corporate earnings surprised on the upside due to improvement in margins
- Ashok Chavan 'injures' Congress again, 55 Nanded ex-corporators join BJP
- Adani Group, Uber to form JV to help expand fleet on green energy?
- One killed as fire breaks out in Singapore apartment
- Two soldiers killed after helicopter crashes in US
- No difference of opinion between me and Satheesan, says Sudhakaran after show of temper
- ‘Farmers first’ policy is Modi govt's resolve to boost their income: A look at key initiatives
- KIUG 2023: Shooter Tejaswini bags Delhi University’s first medal; Chandigarh on top of medal table
Guntur Municipal Corporation Mayor post reserved for general category
Guntur: The government reserved prestigious the post of Guntur mayor for general category. Orders have been issued to this effect. It has assumed...
Guntur: The government reserved prestigious the post of Guntur mayor for general category. Orders have been issued to this effect. It has assumed significance because the Guntur Municipal Corporation is in the State capital region.
There are 57 wards in the GMC. Elections are held for the GMC after a gap of 15 years. Last time the GMC had the elected council was in 2005 during the Congress regime. The term of the GMC council completed in September 2010. In 2012, twelve neighbouring villages were merged with the GMC. In 2014, then TDP government did not conduct the elections to the GMC along with other Municipal Corporations as the division of wards was challenged in the High Court.
On August 19,1994, Guntur Municipality was upgraded as Municipal Corporation. In 1995 GMC elections TDP candidate Kolli Sarada was elected as Mayor. In 2000 TDP candidate Chukka Yesu Ratnam was elected as Mayor. In 2005 Congress party bagged majority of divisions. Congress party candidates Kanna Naga Raju was the mayor and later Rayapati Mohan Sai Krishna.