- Suspected IED blast kills student in Manipur, another injured
- Asian Track Cycling: Arshad Shaikh, Jyoti Gaderiya win their third gold; Harshita bags silver as India claims four medals
- Corporate earnings surprised on the upside due to improvement in margins
- Ashok Chavan 'injures' Congress again, 55 Nanded ex-corporators join BJP
- Adani Group, Uber to form JV to help expand fleet on green energy?
- One killed as fire breaks out in Singapore apartment
- Two soldiers killed after helicopter crashes in US
- No difference of opinion between me and Satheesan, says Sudhakaran after show of temper
- ‘Farmers first’ policy is Modi govt's resolve to boost their income: A look at key initiatives
- KIUG 2023: Shooter Tejaswini bags Delhi University’s first medal; Chandigarh on top of medal table
Policeman arrested over graft charges in Odisha
The state vigilance department has arrested a police Sub Inspector for taking bribe from a person for the release of his seized motorcycle in Boudh district of Odisha, said a vigilance official on Wednesday.
Bhubaneswar: The state vigilance department has arrested a police Sub Inspector for taking bribe from a person for the release of his seized motorcycle in Boudh district of Odisha, said a vigilance official on Wednesday.
The accused SI identified as Bikram Kumar Dehury is a resident of Puruna Katak in Boudh district. Accused Bikram is currently posted at Baunsuni police station of Boudh district.
The anti corruption sleuths caught Bikram for receiving Rs 15,000 from the complainant through digital mode (Phonepe) on Tuesday. The complainant Karunakar Nayak’s bike was seized in connection with a case registered under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985.
On November 9, the court directed the police to return the seized vehicle to Karunakar.
“Though, Sessions Judge, Boudh had directed the Inspector In-Charge of Baunsuni Police station to release the seized motorcycle, the accused SI Bikram demanded bribe Rs 15, 000 from Karunakar and asked him to deposit the bribe amount in an account number for the release of the seized vehicle,” said vigilance sources.
Later, the complainant informed the vigilance officials about the illegal demand made by the accused. The vigilance staff caught Bikram after the transfer of bribe amount to his PhonePe account.
Subsequently, the officials carried out house searches at Bikram's native village and his rest room in Baunsuni police station. The accused was produced before the court Wednesday.