- Another student ends life at IIIT Basara
- Delhi Liquor scam case: Kejriwal & Kavitha served notices by ED and CBI
- Rehabilitation and Empowerment Centre for differently-abled people launched
- 3rd Mahamastakabhisheka of the century at Venur
- CM Revanth holds meeting with Japan company over expansion of metros in city
- KCR, KTR and Harish Rao expresses grief over Lasya Nandita’s death
- Telangana govt to implement ‘Griha Jyoti’ from Feb 27th!!!
- Thiruvananthapuram-Kasargod Express to include stop at Mangaluru
- BBMP property tax amendment bill passed in Council
- Mysuru civic workers demand improvement in breakfast quality
Colour fruits good for health
People should take lots of fruits depending upon the availability as per the season, says nutritionist B Kusuma Neela. “One should take at least three varieties of fruits for good health and to improve immunity,” she added.
Vijayawada: People should take lots of fruits depending upon the availability as per the season, says nutritionist B Kusuma Neela. “One should take at least three varieties of fruits for good health and to improve immunity,” she added.
She was addressing the health education programme on ‘Fruits and Health Benefits’ organised at Vasavya Nursing Home here on Saturday with Dr Goparaju Samaram in the chair.
Kusuma Neela said that people, though they could afford, were not accustomed to take fruits because they were unaware of the benefits.
Elaborating on the variety of fruits, the nutritionist said that generally fruits could be classified into five varieties with five colours—red, yellow, green, blue and white. “Everyone should take at least three of the coloured fruits daily to keep good health,” she added.
All the fruits contain anti-oxidants, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, potassium, and fibre and there would be no fat or cholesterol in them, she said.
People should eat red fruits like apples, cherries, water melon and pomegranate to improve memory power, she said and added that tomato and beetroot also fall in the category of fruits which are good for health.
Yellow colour fruits like musk melon, orange, papaya and pumpkin contain lots of Vitamin A and C and help improving eye sight and good for heart. “These are good for improving immunity and contain anti-oxidants to prevent cancer,” she added.
Green fruits like lemon, kiwis and berries and blue variety fruits like grape, blue berries should be taken regularly, Kusuma Neela said.
Referring to the misconceived notions, she said that fruits could be eaten on empty stomach. “If fruits are eaten by biting instead of cutting it would help protect teeth.
The nutritionist said that it is not true that papaya would cause miscarriage.
Even diabetic patients should also take variety of fruits regularly, she said and added that they should avoid taking fruits like custard apple, mango and sapota. Hyper tension patients should take fruits regularly to control blood pressure.
Dr Maru proposed a vote of thanks.