What is E Way bill and how to generate eway bill via SMS
e operational and procedural aspects of movement of goods under GST are prescribed in the e-way bill rules. E-way bill stands for Electronic Way Bill. It is usually a unique bill number generated for the specific consignment involving the movement of goods.
The operational and procedural aspects of movement of goods under GST are prescribed in the e-way bill rules. E-way bill stands for Electronic Way Bill. It is usually a unique bill number generated for the specific consignment involving the movement of goods. It is to be noted here that the e-way bill implementation was however deferred when GST came into being on the 1st of July, in order to give more time to the government, businesses and transporters to prepare for its full and final implementation. This has to be generated when in an conveyance the goods prescribed under GST law which are covered under E waybill are moved from one place to other generally from Suppliers place to Recipients place of value exceeding Rs. 50,000/- before the commencement of movement of goods. With this understanding let us learn today about the two simplest methods for generating E way bill.
Two Simple Methods to Generate GST E Way Bill via EWB-01:
- Via Short Message Service (SMS)
- Via Android API
The sections explain step by step procedure for generating GST e way bill on the EWB portal. There are some mandatory requirement before generating an e-way bill (including all the methods)
What are the Prerequisites that one should consider before generating an e-way bill :
- First to Register on the EWB portal with log in credentials.
- The Invoice/ Bill/ Challan related to the consignment of goods must be in hand.
- If transport is by road – Transporter ID or the Vehicle number must be obtained.
- If transport is by rail, air, or ship – Transport document number and date on the document is required.
- Eway bill generation via SMS facility at EWB Portal : Taxpayers and users who wish to generate single GST e way bill or the taxpayers who are not able to access the website could take a sigh of relief now as they can now use the facility of SMS for generating GST e way bill. We divide our study into two topics (a) How to register for SMS facility? (b) How to use the SMS facility for creating/cancelling e-way bills?
As stated earlier, the prior most Prerequisite to enable to generate e waybill is to first Register on EWB portal with credentials to use such services of E way bill. Similarly for availing the facility of generating e waybill via SMS one has to register for SMS facility of generating e way bill from the link displayed on the e way bill portal. So first let us take up the study of how to register for SMS facility at EWB Portal.
- How to register for SMS Facility :
Step 1 :
Login to eway bill portal from the following link (http://ewaybill.nic.in)
Step 2 :
Click on the registration tab from the dashboard and select “For SMS” Registration feature from the drop down list.
Step 3 :
Now the mobile number which you have given at the time of GST Registration or the updated mobile number at the GST portal will be displayed on the eway bill SMS registration portal screen. In this step you have to verify your mobile number by feeding back the One time password received via SMS to your mobile number into the Eway bill SMS Registration page.
Step 4 :
Click on Verify OTP and now you are eligible to use the e waybill SMS facility
Note : Only Mobile numbers which are registered with the website are eligible for the registration with the facility of SMS. A total of two mobile numbers are eligible for the registration under one GSTIN. And in case of multiple user IDs presented against a single mobile number, One has to select desired user ID/username and click ‘submit’ button.
- How to use the SMS facility for Creating/Cancelling GST E-way Bills? There is the system of codes when it comes to generation/cancellation of e waybill by via SMS. However one need not worry hearing the word Codes or get confused regarding the same, these are certainly not morse codes which are difficult to encrypt. We will learn here as how to write these codes and with examples First let us list down for you these codes for your understanding.
For EWay Bill Generation request for Supplier.
For Eway Bill generation request for Transporters.
For Eway Bill Cancellation request
For Eway Bill Vehicle number Updation request in Eway bill Form
How to write SMS codes to generate eway bill under following cases :
For Suppliers – For Generating Eway bill (EWBG)
The format of SMS request is as follows:
“ EWBG TranType RecGSTIN DelPinCode InvNo InvDate TotalValue HSNCode ApprDist Vehicle” and send this SMS code to the registered mobile number of the State from which you are operating.
Let us understand this code with an example.
Mr. X of Raichur, Karnataka make an delivery of goods worth Rs. 85,000/- bearing HSN code- 3926 against an invoice he created- No. 0786 dated 13/02/2018 to a unit of Mr. Y at Bangalore, Karnataka through vehicle number KA 12 AB 2456 covering an approx. distance of 250 km.
How to write this as code to generate EWB via SMS? The draft SMS to be typed in by Mr. X will be :
“EWBG OSUP 29AABPX0892K1ZK 560021 0786 13/02/2018 85,000.00 3926 250 KA12AB2456”
A message will follow as a reply instantly in case if no errors present:
“E-way bill generated successfully. E-Way Bill No:181000000287 and date is 13/02/2018 ”
Decrypting the code for you
EWBG - EWay Bill Generation request for Supplier
TranType - OSUP – Outward Supply
RecGSTIN - Receivers GSTIN Number
DelPinCode - Delivery Pin code – Address of the buyer
InvNo - Invoice number of the bill raised
InvDate - Invoices date
TotalValue - Total Value of the Invoice (inclusive of tax)
HSNCode - HSN Code of the product that is proposed to be moved
ApprDist - Approx. Calculation of distance from suppliers place to buyers place
Vehicle - Vehicle number of the Conveyance in which the goods are proposed to be moved.
For Updation of Vehicle Number
The format of SMS request is as follows : Type the following :
“ EWBV EWB_NO Vehicle ReasCode” and forward this SMS to the registered mobile number of the State from which you are operating.
Let us understand this code with an example :
X Transports of Bangalore, Karnataka a GTA delivering goods worth Rs. 90,000 bearing HSN code-3915, on behalf of Mr. Y of Bangalore, Karnataka, against the invoice – No. 101 dated 13/02/2018 to a unit of Mr. Z at Kolar, Karnataka through vehicle number KA 02 AB 7542 covering a distance of 250 km has generated the e-way bill no. 171000006745 dated 13/02/2018
Assume that the vehicle breaks down amidst journey on 13/02/2018 afternoon and X Transports arranges alternate vehicle bearing registration number KA 43 AB 2267 for the delivery of the consignment to the destination.
How to write this as code to update Vehicle number In Eway bill already generated :
“EWBV 171000006745 KA43AB2267 BRK”
A message as follows is received as reply instantly if no errors:
“Vehicle details updated successfully and date is 20/01/2018”
Decrypting the code for you :
EWBV - EWay Bill Vehicle updation
EWB_NO - Eway Bill Number
Vehicle - Vehicle Number
ReasCode - Reason for updation as code (BRK in the given case code for Break down)
In this way one can generate/Cancel e waybill or even update Vehicle number In the already generated Eway bill. Though the e way bill generation process via SMS looks a quite difficult task, one need not worry as one just need to Insert the relevant code for the desired action e.g.: Generation or cancellation and then just type the input against each code by giving single space and wait until validation to take place. Verify and proceed.
Registering for Android API facility for Eway bill generation : Firstly you have to login with credentials for E way bill portal and then in Registration Tab select the For Android option for availing the service of E way bill generation via Android Application. What you have to do is simple to avail such service, you just have to provide the IMEI number of the mobile number which is registered with the GSTN portal. And you will be lead to an application page where you can start downloading the app and commence installing and outright use the app from the word go.
EWAY Bill and how is Tally ready with it : Watch out for Tally.ERP 6.4 release which has the following key features of Release 6.4:
- Tally.ERP 9 Release 6.4 will identify invoices that need e-Way Bill and alert you if there are any missing details which are mandatory for generating the bills.
- With a single click, you can export all the information needed for generating e-Way Bill numbers in a JSON format or the Excel Offline Utility tool provided by the department.
- You will have the flexibility to export e-Way Bill information for each invoice at the time of saving, or for multiple invoices at one go through a report.
- Upload the JSON file in the e-Way Bill portal. The e-Way Bill numbers generated on the portal can be updated against their corresponding invoices in Tally.ERP 9.
- You can record and track invoices along with their e-Way Bill numbers from reports.
- Watch out for Tally.ERP 9 Release 6.4. Make e-Way Bill generation and management a comfortable experience in your business with Tally.ERP 9.
Conclusion : In the initial and trail phase of gst e way bill, one is bound to commit mistakes owing to the complexity the e way bill bears for a first time user. But let us appreciate the motive and the right direction it will lead the whole country as it will make even the unorganized sectors in the economy force to comply with the e waybill rules lessening the chances for tax evasions. Beside it will create good market opportunities for new entrants as it will bring the prices for the products under control.