Novel initiative to promote coconut farms
Kerala government has decided to set up 44 \'Kera Villages\' to promote coconut farming by planting high yielding varieties, Agriculture Minister V S Sunilkumar said.
Kerala government has decided to set up 44 'Kera Villages' to promote coconut farming by planting high yielding varieties, Agriculture Minister V S Sunilkumar said.
The proposal was to consider a 250 acre coconut farm as one unit and promote 44 such units under the programme. According to the minister the objective was to increase coconut production, for which an amount of Rs 33 crore has been earmarked.
Productivity of coconut trees in Kerala has come down by about 15 to 20 per cent recently due to various diseases, he said. Besides, total area under coconut cultivation has also decreased following conversion of farm land for commercial purposes.
- Chandrababu Naidu, Mamata Banerjee prepare for hung verdict, non-BJP front in discussion
- Akbar denies meeting Ramani at Oberoi hotel
- Sexual harassment charge filed against Tripura MLA
- 2 dead as truck falls into gorge in J&K's Doda
- Mission Admission 2019: Executive secretary of ComedK to interact with parents and students