- MyVoice: Views of our readers 21st February 2024
- Depleting potassium in soil, threatening global food security
- Tribute to Sant Shiromani Acharya Vidhyasagar: Acharya Ji emphasised on education rooted in our cultural ethos
- Clearing ambiguity a precursor to proposed UCC
- Beat depression better with yoga & walking: Study
- Fostering critical thinking & communication skills in students
- Congress to field Cabinet minister in LS polls in Karnataka
- CCI approves Minda Corporation's stake purchase in Pricol
- Zee Entertainment denies any talks with Sony to revive merger
- Remain united to finish elements like Shahjahan: Bengal LoP to Sandeshkhali women
Bihar polls leave leaders' sons, sons-in-law with heartburn
For many politicians in Bihar, results of the state assembly polls brought quite saddening news with their beloved sons, sons-in-law or nephews having to taste defeat -- though there were exceptions as well.
Patna: For many politicians in Bihar, results of the state assembly polls brought quite saddening news with their beloved sons, sons-in-law or nephews having to taste defeat -- though there were exceptions as well.
Former chief minister Jagannath Mishra's son Nitish Mishra, former minister and BJP candidate, was defeated in the Jhanjharpur assembly constituency in Madhubani district.
Former chief minister and Hindustani Awam Morcha (HAM) president Jitan Ram Manjhi's son-in-law Devender Kumar Manjhi was another. Contesting as an independent candidate, he lost the Bodh Gaya assembly seat.
Senior HAM leader and former minister Narendra Singh's son Sumit Singh lost the Chakai assembly seat.
Bharatiya Janata Party MP Ashwani Kumar Choubey's son Arjit Shahswat Choubey was another name joining the list of losing candidates. He lost from Bhagalpur assembly constituency.
Union minister and Lok Janshakti Party chief Ram Vilas Paswan's younger brother Pasupati Kumar Paras was also defeated in Alauli assembly constituency in Kharagpur district.
Paswan's nephew Prince Raj too was defeated from Kalyanpur assembly constituency in Samastipur district.
Paswan's son-in-law Anil Kumar Sadhu was defeated from Bochaha assembly seat. BJP MP C.P. Thakur's son Vivek Thakur tasted defeat from Berhampur assembly seat. State HAM president Shakuni Choudhary's son Rajesh Kumar joined him in defeat, losing from Khagaria seat.
However, there were some lucky ones too.
Both sons of Rashtriya Janata Dal chief Lalu Prasad -- Tej Pratap and Tejaswi Yadav -- won from Mahua and Raghopur assembly seats, respectively, in Vaishali district.
Manjhi's son Santosh Kumar won from Kutumba assembly seat.