- Sachin Tendulkar pays obeisance at Hazratbal, Shankaracharya temple in Srinagar; takes Shikara ride
- Olive Ridley turtles lay over 9K eggs in South Goa
- Sandeshkhali unrest: Bengal BJP chief Sukanta Majumdar dragged by cops during protest
- Meta’s Oversight Board extends its scope to Instagram Threads
- Indian researchers develop 'organoid' to help in neurodegenerative diseases
- Priyanka Chopra gives sneak peek into MM's 'first hike'; fans gush over her voice
- Army rescues stranded students in J&K
- J&K approves development of 7 new Industrial Estates
- Leaky blood vessels behind Long Covid-linked brain fog, says study
- RBI notifies banks on interest equalisation scheme for rupee export credit
Gogoi questions Modi's stoic silence over celebration of Gandhi’s killer Nathu Ram Godse’s death anniversary
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday said that the observance of death anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi’s killer Nathu Ram Godse as ‘Shaurya Divas’ by some Hindu hard line groups is shocking and disgraceful.
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday said that the observance of death anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi’s killer Nathu Ram Godse as ‘Shaurya Divas’ by some Hindu hard line groups is shocking and disgraceful.
In a statement Gogoi said that the observance of death anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi’s assassin Nathu Ram Godse as ‘Shaurya Divas’ by some Hindu hard line groups is indeed a shameful and despicable act that needs to be condemned in the strongest term.
“Eulogising the assassin of Father of the Nation who sacrificed everything for freeing the nation from the yoke of slavery is a most heinous and despicable act,” Gogoi said, adding that he has been taken aback by the stoic silence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the celebration of Godse’s death anniversary.
Gogoi said that the BJP leaders of the State who are vociferous in raising issues kept mum on the celebration of Nathu Ram Godse’s death anniversary.
The Assam CM said that when the whole world is acknowledging the Mahatma’s ideals and values; it is abominable that he is being insulted and humiliated in his own land which he freed from the chains of slavery.
“The air of freedom we breathe today is due to the supreme sacrifice of Mahatma Gandhi. Today the Mahatma who is being eulogised the world over, is being humiliated and insulted in his own land. And the most unfortunate thing is that the Modi Government instead of stopping the celebration, has kept studied silence,” Gogoi said.
(Reporting by Hemanta Kumar Nath)