Begin your day like a king
When the season belongs to the king of the fruit, what better way than to begin your day with the seasonal best. Make the most of the mangoes before...
When the season belongs to the king of the fruit, what better way than to begin your day with the seasonal best. Make the most of the mangoes before the season ends Breakfast Parfait with Granola and Mango Ingredients Serves 4 Cornflakes 100 grams Oats 100 grams Dried Fruit A� cup (use dried dates, cranberries, figs etc) Nuts A� cup (use almonds, cashews, pistachios etc) Sesame Seeds A� cup Yogurt 500 grams Mango 2 cups (peeled and chopped) Honey 4 tsp (optional) Method
- To make the granola, dry roast the oats and chop the dried fruits into small bits. Roast the nuts and sesame seeds till they are changing colour. Cool it and mix together with oats, cornflakes, dried fruit and nuts.
- Put a muslin cloth over a wide soup strainer and add the yogurt to this. Set aside in the fridge for 2-3 hours to allow the water to drain away from the yogurt. Once done, if using, add the honey and whisk the yogurt till no lumps remain.
- To serve, assemble the parfait add a few tablespoons of the yogurt at the bottom of the serving bowl. Add the second layer with 4 tablespoons of the granola. Add another layer of yogurt, top with chopped mango and granola. Repeat till everything is used up. Chill for 10 minutes and serve.
- Whisk together the flour, coconut, salt, cardamom powder, baking powder and soda.
- Add the vinegar to the milk and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and line a muffin pan with liners or lightly coat the insides of the pan with oil.
- Add the oil and grated Jaggery/ sugar to the milk and vinegar and mix till the Jaggery has melted
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix gently in a few strokes till a batter is formed. Add the mango pieces and mix.
- A Spoon the batter into the muffin tray till about 2/3 full, top with the granola and bake for 26-28 minutes. Insert a skewer into the muffin at 25 minutes, if it comes out clean, remove.
- Set aside to cool for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm with a little butter.
- Add the vinegar/ lemon juice to the milk and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Mix together the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, powdered sugar.
- Add the buttermilk and melted butter to the flour and mix lightly with a spoon till it forms a batter. Do not over mix. It is ok if the batter has a few smallish lumps.
- Set aside for 10 minutes
- Heat a non stick pan to medium and add a little butter to it. Add a ladleful of batter onto the hot pan and do not spread it. The batter will spread of its own. Cook on medium heat till the edges are turning golden brown and crisp.
- Gently flip the pancake over. Cook for 30 seconds on the other side. Repeat with all the batter.
- To serve, stack up 3-4 pancakes on a plate, add the chopped mango on the top and sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
21 Jan 2020 11:08 AM GMT