- Delay in UP cabinet reshuffle puts question mark on fate of Rajbhar, Chauhan
- 52 dead, 50 injured in 'suicide' blast near Balochistan mosque
- Kakani Govardhan Reddy accused TDP of telling lies in Skill Development case
- Eshwar Khandre – DK Shivakumar meet, discuss on Godavari, Mehkar and Kalyana Karnataka projects
- Cauvery bandh: K’taka is totally peaceful, says DyCM Shivakumar
- Asian Games: Aishwary Tomar wins silver for India in Men's 50m Rifle 3-position
- Over 16,000 children displaced following Libya floods: Unicef
- Last 9 years have seen decisive decision-making, vibrant democracy at work, says Shah
- Over 2 lakh deaths in UP due to cardiovascular diseases
- Hindustan Zinc proposes to create separate entities as part of restructuring
Farmers keen on apple gardens in Adilabad district
Enthused by favourable weather, farmers in Adilabad district are evincing keen interest in raising apple gardens. Cotton is the main crop in the district. However, recently scientists from the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad, visited the district and found that it has favourable conditions for raising apple plantationss.
Adilabad: Enthused by favourable weather, farmers in Adilabad district are evincing keen interest in raising apple gardens. Cotton is the main crop in the district. However, recently scientists from the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad, visited the district and found that it has favourable conditions for raising apple plantationss.
Scientists found that conditions were favourable in Kerameri, Jainoor, Narnoor and Bazarhathnoor mandals. Places which record high rainfall and low temperatures are ideal for apple cultivation. Temperatures in the range of 4-5 degrees Celsius will be favourable for apple growth. On December 20 last year, a minimum temperature of 3.9 degrees C was recorded in Kerameri, which also receives rainfall during summer.
- CCMB scientists find four mandals suitable
- Ideal even for raising strawberries, grapes
The district has beautiful hills, ghat roads and is rich in natural beauty. It has pleasant weather conditions even during summer. The CCMB scientists produced an apple seed which will help in raising plants even in areas which record minimum temperatures of 10 degrees Celsius.
They are carrying out experiments and planning to raise apple gardens in Srikakulam and Visakhapatnam districts in Andhra Pradesh and Adilabad in Telangana. Kerameri has been identified by CCMB scientists as the most ideal mandal for raising apples. They suggested that farmers can raise strawberries, cherries and grapes. Farmers are cultivating oranges and mangoes in the mandal.
Weather conditions similar to States like Himachal Pradesh and Jammu & Kashmir prevail in the district. Following the advice of scientists, farmers in the district are planning to take up apple cultivation. Some expressed readiness to raise apple crop instead of cotton. They believe that they can overcome debt burden and earn profits. However, mostly tribal farmers reside in the mandals identified as suitable for apple cultivation. They are looking forward to the government for help in the form of subsidies.