- Grand opening of Interwood’s 16th Exclusive Brand outlet at Hyderabad
- Rakesh Sharma Director of ITV Group elected as new president of INS
- Asian Games: India stun Korea for historic maiden entry in men's team badminton final
- Asian Games: India thrash Pakistan 10-2, hand archrivals biggest defeat ever
- Hockey Association of Odisha beat Hockey Jharkhand in Sub-Junior men, women finals
- Day after alleged manhandling, model turned actress Archana Gautam suspended from Congress
- Asian Games: Indian Men's Hockey Team stuns Pakistan, picks dominant 10-2 win
- Foreign intelligence agency involved in terror incidents in Pak, claims Minister
- Tribal party sponsored 12-hour bandh hits normal life in Tripura’s tribal areas
- US misses the 'bigger picture' on row with Canada, says Jaishankar
Battlegrounds Mobile India removed from Google Play, App Store
Battlegrounds Mobile India (BGMI) has vanished from India-specific Google Play and Apple App Store.
Battlegrounds Mobile India (BGMI) has vanished from the India-specific Google Play and Apple App Store. The game launched last year after its previous iteration, PUBG Mobile, was banned by the Indian government in 2020 for security reasons. PUBG New State, developed by BGMI maker Krafton, is available for download on both Google Play and the Apple App Store.
The timing of the removal is not a coincidence, as a BGMI-related issue was recently raised in Rajya Sabha. Lawmakers discussed whether stock titles have harmful effects on children. In addition, the upper house was discussing a media report that "a boy killed his mother due to PUBG that he has been playing." The incident took place in Lucknow last month.
According to PTI, Union Minister Rajeev Chandrasekhar said on July 22 that law enforcement agencies are investigating the matter. The minister also assured that its previous iteration, PUBG Mobile, remains banned in India as of 2020.
A company representative told India Today Tech, "We are clarifying how BGMI was removed from the Google Play store and the App store and will let you know once we get specific information".
A Google spokesperson also shared with India Today Tech, "On receipt of the order, following established process, we have notified the affected developer and have blocked access to the app that remained available on the Play Store in India". However, the company recently released an update, with players concerned about its possible ban.