- Twitter bans over 25 lakh accounts in India; Know why
- Elon Musk Reclaims Position as World’s Richest Person After Bernard Arnault’s Louis Vuitton Shares Drop
- 'Muslim League Is A Secular Party,' Says Rahul Gandhi
- Foxconn to start manufacturing iPhones in Bengaluru in April 2024
- Petrol and diesel prices today stable in Hyderabad, Delhi, Chennai and Mumbai on 02 June 2023
- ELCINA heartily welcomes MeitY’s revised initiative to Re-Open Scheme for investments in Semiconductors
- Google introduces new 'reading practice' feature for play books
- President Draupadi Murmu and PM Modi extends Telangana formation day wishes
- Indian-Origin Teen Won US Spelling Bee 2023
- YS Jagan distributes tractors and harvesters under YSR Yantra Seva scheme
Nara Lokesh seeks ST status for Valmikis, Boyas
- In a letter to CM, the TDP leader recalls that the Chandrababu Naidu Cabinet passed a resolution recommending to the Centre the inclusion of the two communities in the ST list
- Says the two communities are a fit case for status as they eke out their livelihoods by hunting and gathering forest produce since ancient times
Vijayawada: TDP national general secretary Nara Lokesh has urged Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy to convince the Centre to include Valmiki and Boya communities in the ST list. In a letter to the CM here on Wednesday, he stressed on the need for conferring the ST status for the two communities which have been eking out their livelihoods by hunting and gathering forest produce since ancient times.
He told the CM that on December 1, 2017, the Chandrababu Naidu Cabinet approved a resolution recommending to the Central government the inclusion of the two communities in the ST list. The state's recommendation was based on the Satyapal panel report. The Cabinet and state Assembly and Council resolutions along with the Satyapal report were sent to the Centre for further proceedings.
The TDP MLC reminded the Chief Minister of his pre-election promise to strive for ST status to Valmikis/Boyas. The previous TDP government had provided all the required information to the clarifications sought by the Union tribal affairs ministry on September 5, 2018. Ever since, the issue had been pending with the Centre. He accused the CM of turning blind eye to the cause of the STs. Lokesh recalled that on October 20, 2021, former Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu wrote a letter to the Prime Minister seeking the ST status to Valmikis/Boyas. It was on the occasion of the Valmiki jayanti. However, the AP government had not initiated any efforts towards this objective.
He said any government should continue efforts to complete the tasks and projects initiated by the previous governments for solving the problems of the people. He urged the CM to take an all-party delegation to Delhi to press for the inclusion of Valmikis/Boyas in the ST list.