- DyCM row deepens in K’taka: CM loyalist Cong MLA bats for creation of 5 DyCM posts
- KCR directs officials to conduct last rites of Harishwar Reddy with state honours
- A vocal minority today, Indians first arrived in a hostile Canada in 1902
- Bernadine Bezuidenhout ruled out of New Zealand's women's tour of South Africa
- Botsa Satyanarayana says ED made arrests first in skill development scam
- National Singles Day
- Lankan PM Dinesh Gunawardhana urged to operate daily flights to Hyderabad
- Fitness expert’s strategies for a pain-free life
- Rangareddy District Collector Collector Harish reviews development projects in Ibrahimpatnam
- Baljeet Kaur’s journey to heights
Srikakulam: Hand pumps damaged across the district
Safe drinking water hand pumps are damaged in several villages across the district. In the wake of mid-summer and scorching sun, several villagers in remote, agency and sea coast regions are facing trouble to get safe drinking water.
Srikakulam: Safe drinking water hand pumps are damaged in several villages across the district. In the wake of mid-summer and scorching sun, several villagers in remote, agency and sea coast regions are facing trouble to get safe drinking water.
In several villages, open wells are almost damaged due to improper maintenance works by local bodies. Hand pumps are prime sources to meet drinking water requirements in the district in several villages and colonies.
The district has more than 12,485 hand pumps. As a part of crash programme rural water supply (RWS) officials and staff inspected functioning of hand pumps across the district from February 1 to March 17.
During the programme, the officials found that repair works were not performed to pumps due to scarcity of required material and tools, mechanics and insufficient funds.
Out of 12,485 hand pumps more than 7,500 are not working in G Sigadam, Ponduru, Polaki, Gara, Itchapuram, Narasannapeta, Saravakota, Amadalavalasa, Sarubujjili, Pathapatnam,
Meliaputti, Burja, Jalumuru, Etcherla, Laverua and Ranastalam mandals.
“Hand pumps were damaged a ago and concerned RWS officials did not restore water supply from the well,” said residents of Peddalaxmipuram in Itchapuram mandal.
“We are going to purchase spare parts, material and tools which are required to restore water supply from the damaged hand pumpsas funds will be allotted through the
Zilla Paraishad,” said superintendent engineer (SE) for RSW department, TS Prasad.