- Haryana State CSR Trust launchs animal ambulance service in Gurugram
- Australian pacer Starc eyes for the comeback, Maxwell too likely to return
- After students’ stir, Manipur govt reimposes internet ban for 5 days
- Bengal Guv finally clears file for oath of new MLA, but bypasses Speaker
- Maha Congress: PM’s ‘urban Naxals’ jibe at Oppn came out of ‘despair’
- District SP Gaus Alam asks devotees to perform Ganesh immersion with devotion
- Delhi L-G urges neighboring states to address crop residue burning for air quality improvement
- Electoral Roll Observer E Sridhar holds review meet
- PL Sector Update - Retail - - D'Mart Ready retains competitive advantage
- Kejriwal to announce Winter Action Plan on Sep 29 as Delhi tries to fight pollution
Youngsters falling prey to drug addiction in Nellore district
City has slowly but steadily been turning into a hub for narcotics due to involvement of Nigerians.
Nellore: City has slowly but steadily been turning into a hub for narcotics due to involvement of Nigerians. The drug mafia has been making the contraband products available to the youngsters online with the aim of further expansion of the trade.
The recent arrests of African people divulged various angles of the drug racket in which people from various walks of life involved. A student from the district also found to be playing a crucial role in the drug supply and another is at large. Nigerians have been active in drug trafficking in the country since late 1970s.
The recent police arrests revealed that some Nigerian nationals staying in Bengaluru have involved in the trade through darknet which is being used as a tool for the illegal activity.
Identity of darknet users is hidden, trading platforms where drugs can be purchased is unknown and commodities and services are unnoticed. Traffickers use bitcoins as a media for financial transactions and delivery by post or private parcel services. The web is also hidden which contains 90-96 pc of global information available on the Internet related to drug trafficking.
People on the trade supply majority of illicit drugs and the rest are drug-related chemicals and pharmaceuticals. Peddlers and addicted consumers are using online services without fear at the premium prices for the products. Trade is conducted mainly on cannabis, heroin, and cocaine. Now, stimulants, ecstasy-type drugs also included in the menu for the last couple of years, say officials.
District police have seized cocaine, Lysergic Acid Diethylamide (LSD), and MDMA or colloquially known as ecstasy stimulants. A BCA student in the city had addicted to drugs and he started selling them secretly for the college students which unearthed the role of foreign nationals.
It may be recalled that cannabis is already available in city and police arrested even women from Kapadipalem in city some time ago.The student involved in the trade had visited Chennai and interacted with them for products and started marketing through online activity. He subsequently had contacts with African nationals for products.
"The instances of drug addiction came to fore when some parents approached the police for support. We have found many students addicted to drugs and stimulants and they are now being counselled," said a senior police official.