Doctors remove tooth denture stuck in throat
A 43-year-old businessman from Mahabubnagar accidentally swallowed his tooth denture after he fell at his workplace
Secunderabad: A team of expert doctors from the KIMS Hospital, Secunderabad, under the supervision of Dr C Subramanyam, the consultant ENT Surgeon, performed a complex procedure to remove a tooth-denture accidentally swallowed by a victim.
Yellaiah, a 43-year-old businessman from Mahabubnagar district had a fall at his workplace and inadvertently swallowed his tooth denture which got stuck in his throat resulting in severe pain and difficult to swallow.
Initially a local doctor checked Yellaiah and referred him to consult expert specialist at KIMS Multi Super Specialty Hospital, Secunderabad. Medical gastroenterologists conducted upper GI endoscope to remove the foreign body, but it did not come.
Expert opinion was sought from ENT surgeons to conduct endoscopic procedure, and from endocrinologists to bring sugar levels under control. He was put under general anesthesia, and orotracheal Intubation was used on the patient to remove the foreign body using esophagoscopy procedure.
Commenting on the procedure, Dr Subramanyam, consultant ENT surgeon, KIMS Hospitals, said, "This was a complex procedure that required utmost care from all dimensions; and I thank the entire team at KIMS who played a role to the best of their abilities to make the surgery a success. And as an advice to all, I suggest those requiring dental care do not go for tooth dentures for one or two teeth, and instead opt for permanent implants."