- Supreme Court defers till Jan 10 hearing on Umar Khalid's bail plea
- Brothers stabbed to death after fight over alcohol in UP, six held
- UP govt tables second supplementary budget
- Delhi court to hear Lava chief's bail plea in Vivo PMLA case on Dec 4
- More people in Gaza could die of diseases than bombings: WHO chief
- Cabinet okays drone scheme for women self-help groups
- New AI model to predict physical & mental development in preemies
- IMD warns of cyclonic development, anticipates weather turbulence across multiple regions
- Cabinet clears Rs 11.8 lakh cr scheme for free foodgrain to poor
- Mock drill by Waltair division at Simhachalam
Tirupati: 24 persons held; 64 red sanders logs seized
In two separate incidents, Chittoor police and Task Force personnel have seized 64 logs and arrested 24 smugglers on Tuesday.
Tirupati: In two separate incidents, Chittoor police and Task Force personnel have seized 64 logs and arrested 24 smugglers on Tuesday.
According to Chittoor SP Senthil Kumar, acting on a tip-off, a police team comprising large number of personnel tried to stop an Eicher mini lorry at Nuthanakalva forest area in Kambamvaripalli mandal.
As the driver proceeded at a high speed towards Chittoor without stopping, the police chased the vehicle and stopped it. The police found 41 logs and 23 smugglers in the mini lorry. They have arrested the smugglers after seizing the logs. The arrested persons belonged to Tamil Nadu and Chittoor district. Kambamvaripalli police have registered a case and began investigation.
In another incident, the Task Force personnel seized 23 logs and arrested one smuggler at S V Boys Hostel in Krishnapuram section of Tirupati Range.
According to Task Force SP M Sundar Rao, RSIs Suresh and Viswanath started the combing operation along with their staff from Karakambadi beat on Monday night. They found some men carrying logs at S V Boys Hostel and the Task Force staff tried to surround them but they fled into the forest leaving the logs behind them.
However, the team was able to nab one smuggler identified as Lakshman (51) from Tamil Nadu. Task Force SI Mohan Naik registered a case.