Demonetisation was to 'whitewash' black money: Sitaram Yechury
'Claims like 'cashless' economy also have turned out to be false and misleading Jumlas', Yechury tweeted.
New Delhi: C PI(M) general secretary Sitaram Yechury Friday said demonetisation was to "whitewash" black money, amidst reports that the current cash in circulation has jumped by more than 19 per cent from the pre-note ban days.
Media reports have indicated that the cash in circulation has jumped by 19.14 per cent to Rs 21.41 lakh crore as on March 15 this year from the pre-demonetisation level of Rs 17.97 lakh crore on November 4, 2016.
"Demonetisation by Modi on a whim, against all advice from RBI, was a way to whitewash black money. We know how jobs and lives were destroyed by notebandi. Now claims like 'cashless' economy also have turned out to be false and misleading Jumlas. #DemonetisationDisaster," Yechury tweeted.
- BJP only party in Rajasthan to clean sweep LS polls 2nd time in a row
- Many in TMC feel suffocated: Subhrangshu Roy on being sacked, to join BJP
- Surat fire tragedy: Cops file FIR against owners as death toll reaches 20
- Students jump to death to escape from inferno
- Resignations pour in ahead of CWC today