Priyanka Sharma released late from jail after being arrested for a meme
Priyanka Sharma’s release from jail was delayed after being arrested for sharing a meme about Mamata Banerjee.
NEW DELHI: Priyanka Sharma, a BJP worker from Bengal was arrested by the Kolkata Police for sharing a meme on Mamata Banerjee. She was released from jail on Wednesday morning and was forced to write an apology letter, which she did, reluctantly.
After being released from Kolkata jail on Wednesday morning, Priyanka said, "I was forced to sign an apology letter. I have never apologised. I have not done anything that needs an apology. I was put behind the bars for a harmless social media post. I was jailed for five days, tortured and was made to live in a terrible condition. The terror of Trinamool is such that people are now scared to leave their houses."
The family of Priyanka Sharma filed a petition, seeking Rs 50 lakh as compensation for "illegal detention". Priyanka will also file an additional application for exemplary compensation for being detained for an additional 24 hour after the court orders.
The Supreme Court had reprimanded the West Bengal government for not releasing Priyanka on time even though she was granted bail on Tuesday evening. She was released at 9:30 am on Wednesday morning.
- Surgeons remove 8 Spoons, Knife, 2 Toothbrushes from a Man's stomach
- Charge sheet filed against accused in Bandipora rape case
- Muslim family in UP names newly-born son after PM Narendra Modi
- Drought situation in Maharashtra is very serious says Sharad Pawar
- Lok Sabha elections: Five legislators among 248 lose deposit in Punjab, AAP worst hit