- Kashmir to rival Switzerland: PM
- Days of exploitation & dynastic rule over: PM
- MyVoice: Views of our readers 21st February 2024
- Depleting potassium in soil, threatening global food security
- Tribute to Sant Shiromani Acharya Vidhyasagar: Acharya Ji emphasised on education rooted in our cultural ethos
- Clearing ambiguity a precursor to proposed UCC
- Beat depression better with yoga & walking: Study
- Fostering critical thinking & communication skills in students
- Congress to field Cabinet minister in LS polls in Karnataka
- CCI approves Minda Corporation's stake purchase in Pricol
Same sex marriage in Varanasi sends shock waves
In a bold step, two cousin sisters here in Uttar Pradesh married each other against the wishes of their families.
Varanasi : In a bold step, two cousin sisters here in Uttar Pradesh married each other against the wishes of their families.
The girls then posted a photograph of their 'marriage on the social media which sent shock waves in the holy city.
This is probably the first same sex marriage in Varanasi.
The girls, residents of Rohaniya, reached a Shiva temple on Wednesday and asked the priest to perform their marriage.
The priest refused but the girls kept sitting inside the temple till he relented.
The girls, clad in jeans and t-shirts, wore a 'red chunni' and got married. By the time the marriage was solemnized, a huge crowd had gathered at the temple.
The girls left before any untoward incident could take place. Some people criticised the priest for solemnizing the marriage.
The priest later told reporters that one of the girls belongs to Kanpur and was staying with her cousin here to pursue studies.