- New Delhi: CM Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy stresses on importance of infra
- Kadapa: Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy owes answer in Viveka case, says CPI state secretary K Ramakrishna
- Visakhapatnam: Mugger crocodile hatchlings, a new attraction at zoo
- YSR Kanti Velugu Scheme gets good response in Srikakulam
- Srikakulam: ‘State government suppressing employees’
- Visakhapatnam: Empowering women in G20 countries and beyond
- Visakhapatnam: People find various ways to dispose of Rs 2,000 notes
- Tirupati: Vahana Sevas performed for Govindaraja Swamy
- Inspiring movie on a soldier’s bravery; ‘Fouja’ leaves a mark on Karthik Dammu
- Gajendra Moksham Katha pravachanam discourse held in Sri City
11 injured in protest against Iran water crisis
At least 10 police officers and a civilian were injured when a peaceful protest over a water crisis turned violent in southwestern Iran.
Tehran [Iran]: At least 10 police officers and a civilian were injured when a peaceful protest over a water crisis turned violent in southwestern Iran.
Deputy Interior Minister for Security Affairs Hossein Zolfaghari was quoted by state-run IRNA news agency as saying that an armed person attacked 11 persons, including a civilian, resulting in clashes between the police and the protesters in Khorramshahr city.
Zolfaghari clarified that there were no casualties, and the armed person is yet to be identified.
Iran's interior minister Abdolreza Rahmani Fazli also confirmed that there were no deaths reported in the street protests in Khorramshahr, adding that police and disciplinary forces were present at the scene and carrying out their duties.
The protests triggered due to the shortage of water, a common problem in summers, and pollution of freshwater resources in Khorramshahr and other cities in Khuzestan Province.
According to CNN, during the clashes in Khorramshahr, police forces used tear gas to contain the crowd, while the demonstrators went on a violent rampage, throwing stones and other objects and vandalising public property, such as the Holy Defence Museum and a local bridge.