- Bridge washed away 3 years back waiting for reconstruction
- Flood alert to Prakasam Barrage
- Ola Electric's net loss surges to Rs 1,472 cr in FY23 as expenses grow
- 'There will be game again, be united': Mamata's plea to minority community
- Vicky says ‘that’s my game’ when Ankita asks ‘aap mujhe bhi use kar rahe ho kya’
- Agra to become ‘bougainvillea capital’ of India
- Purandeswari urges govt. to support farmers who lost crops due to Cyclone Michaung
- Users lose audio from their old Instagram videos
- Swiggy appoints Anand Kripalu as Independent Director, Chairperson of Board
- Sr Adv Dushyant Dave pens open letter to CJI over listing of cases in SC
Vidyasagar Rao Maha Governor
Continuing the process of appointing its own nominees to the Raj Bhavans, the Modi government has named four prominent BJP politicians -- former Uttar Pradesh chief minister Kalyan Singh ( Rajasthan), Gujarat speaker Vajubhai Vala ( Karnataka), former Mahila Morcha chief Mridula Sinha ( Goa) and former union minister C Vidhyasagar Rao( Maharashtra) as governors.
NDA appoints four new Governors, Kalyan Singh finally rehabilitated
Sheila Dikshit steps down in Kerala
New Delhi: Continuing the process of appointing its own nominees to the Raj Bhavans, the Modi government has named four prominent BJP politicians -- former Uttar Pradesh chief minister Kalyan Singh ( Rajasthan), Gujarat speaker Vajubhai Vala ( Karnataka), former Mahila Morcha chief Mridula Sinha ( Goa) and former union minister C Vidhyasagar Rao( Maharashtra) as governors.
Another vacancy was created in the Kerala Raj Bhavan, as Shiela Dikshit stepped down on her own. She had meetings with union home minister Rajnath Singh and president Pranab Mukherjee and these had triggered speculation about her resignation.
In finalising the new incumbents for these Raj Bhavans, the Modi government too has followed the usual practice of rewarding its old political loyalists for their services to the party. Kalyan Singh is the chief protagonist of the Ramjanmabhoomi movement.
As it was during his tenure as the chief minister of Uttar Prades, the disputed Babri Masjid structure was pulled down by the karsewaks in December 1992.
Sinha is also an author and has penned a book on the former BJP vice-president Rajama Vijayraje Scindia, that was later used as the basis for a film on her. Coming from Bihar, Sinha has also been the president of the party’s women’s wing.
Vala is a 75- year old BJP veteran from prime minister Narendra Modi’s home state of Gujarat, and though a Speaker now, he could have posed some political challenge to Modi’s hand-picked successor Anandibehn Patel as chief minister.
The fourth appointee Rao hails from Karimnagar and was a minister in the Vajpayee government.
Dikshit’s exit also seems to be a part of the Congress plans to ensure that governors appointed during its tenure are not further humiliated.
Last week, K Sankaranarayan quit as the Maharashtra governor, after it was clear that he would be transferred ti Mizoram. Dikshit who had about five-and-a-half years of her tenure remaining was also reportedly facing a transfer from Kerala.