Blow to TMC: SC refuses to stay CBI probe into Narada sting operation
SC on Tuesday refused to stay CBI probe into Narada sting operation case in which several TMC leaders were allegedly caught on camera taking money. However, it has extended time for registration of FIR in the case from
SC on Tuesday refused to stay CBI probe into Narada sting operation case in which several TMC leaders were allegedly caught on camera taking money. However, it has extended time for registration of FIR in the case from 72 hours given by Calcutta HC to one month.
The apex court termed "unfortunate" the grounds taken by WB govt in its plea against the HC order and said it calls for "outright" rejection. It also took on record "unqualified apology" tendered by WB counsel and dismissed the SLP as withdrawn.
SC assured that the inferences and opinion of the HC in the order would not influence the CBI probe.SC also rejected the plea of TMC leaders Suvendu Adhikari and Saugata Roy for SIT probe monitored either by apex court or HC. The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) yesterday registered a preliminary inquiry into Narada sting operation case. As per sources, the CBI also seized laptop and spy cam used by the Narada News in their string operation. The investigative agency also named West Bengal Chief Minsiter Mamata Banerjee, MPs, police officers and ex-MLA in its preliminary enquiry.
Earlier in April 2016, the court had formed a three-member committee to probe the controversial tapes. Narada News, led by its editor-in-chief Matthew Samuel, had earlier released three sets of videos of its sting operation, where top TMC leaders were allegedly seen accepting bribes from journalists posing as businessmen. The ruling party had dismissed the tapes as 'doctored' and said the 'dirty tricks departments' of its political opponents were behind the 'smear' campaign.