State to get more funds for Central schemes

State to get more funds for Central schemes
Highlights

Although Union Budget 2016-17 disappointed Telangana government for the third consecutive year, a substantial increase in tax devolution and allocations to centrally-sponsored Core of the Core Schemes and Core Schemes in the new fiscal has raised hopes for the State to get more funds.  

Hyderabad: Although Union Budget 2016-17 disappointed Telangana government for the third consecutive year, a substantial increase in tax devolution and allocations to centrally-sponsored Core of the Core Schemes and Core Schemes in the new fiscal has raised hopes for the State to get more funds.

  • State govt is expecting to receive `30,000 crore including tax devolutions this fiscal as against 24,000 crore in 2015
  • Morealocations for various Centrally sponsored core schemes in the State

State government is expecting to receive Rs 30,000 crore including tax devolutions as against Rs 24,000 crore in 2015, an official of the State Finance department told The Hans India. Centre increased tax devolution from Rs 12,350 crore in 2015 to Rs 14,000 crore in the new financial year to Telangana.

“The increase in the total plan assistance for centrally-sponsored schemes under implementation in all states from Rs 2.34 lakh crore to Rs 2.85 lakh crore will be a big relief for states which required huge funds to deliver welfare and development programmes,” the official said.

Telangana would receive nearly Rs 10,000 crore as its share under various schemes. In 2015-16, the Centre granted Rs 8,000 crore. He said that the Centre had increased allocations under Prime Minister Grama Sadak Yojana for the development of roads to Rs 16,000 crore (as against Rs 3,000 crore last year). Under Sarva Siksha Abhyan (SSA), allocations were increased to Rs 20,000 crore from Rs 8,000.

The increased allocation of funds under the Core schemes, including Pradhan Manthri Krishi Sinchai Yojana, Swatch Bharat Abihyan, Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana would benefit Telangana. Under this scheme, both State and Centre would share funding of 50 per cent each for implementing these programmes.

Similarly, increased allocations for Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGA) under the Core of the Core scheme would give some relief to the State. Under the scheme, Centre would provide 90 per cent funding and remaining 10 per cent would have to be borne by the states.

The official said that the Centre however did not address the demands put before it since 2014. The demand to provide Rs 30,000 crore for Mission Bhagiradha and Mission Kakatiya and special package for the development of backward districts as promised in the AP Reorgansiation act were still pending.

Show Full Article
Download The Hans India Android App or iOS App for the Latest update on your phone.
More Stories


Top