Top

28,000 more engg seats

28,000 more engg seats
Highlights

28,000 new seats in engineering institutes - The total number of engineering seats has gone up to 3,48,000 for the academic year 2013-14. Of these...

• Total seats go up to 3.48 lakh
• Seats higher than qualifiers
• Nearly 1.50 lakh seats may remain unfilled

The total number of engineering seats has gone up to 3,48,000 for the academic year 2013-14. Of these seats, the total number of seats at the government-run engineering colleges (i.e. university engineering colleges) was about 5,846 and the remaining of 3,42,140 seats were with the 685 private institutions. A total of 70 % of the 3.42 seats in private colleges will go for convener quota and the remaining 30% can be filled up through Category-B i.e. management quota.


All the seats in government colleges will naturally be filled up under convener quota only. Principal Secretary of Higher Education, Ajay Mishra released orders of increased intake in various colleges. While more than 440 colleges decided to continue with existing intake in various streams, the remaining ones have sought for slight increase- ranging from 60 to 180.


Despite a special request from the State cabinet, the All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE) has accorded permission for increase of seats. “The cabinet request is not binding on the central body. When a college has asked for increase of seats, they have to go by merit and no governmental request will come in the way” a senior official said.


The total intake after withdrawal at the start of Eamcet schedule was 3,19,708. It has now gone over 3.48 lakh. Interestingly, the number of seats available is much higher than the qualifiers. Out of a total of 2,76,995 students who have appeared for the exam, 2,01,308 students have qualified in the engineering stream. Out of this 2.01 lakh, nearly 20,000 students have already joined either in IITs or NITs or colleges outside Andhra Pradesh. So, an estimated 1.80 lakh have only remained for admission in AP colleges.


In all probability, a total of 1.60 lakh seats may remain vacant and even if some other students are given admission basing on Intermediate marks, a total of 1.50 lakh will definitely remain unfilled. Meanwhile, only seven colleges have submitted proposals for taking NRI students in their colleges and all were granted approval. The colleges are: CBIT, Srinidhi, Narayanamma, Shadan, Keshav Memorial, Gayatri (Vizag) and Pulla Reddy ( Kurnool).

Show Full Article
Print Article

Download The Hans India Android App or iOS App for the Latest update on your phone.
Subscribed Failed...
Subscribed Successfully...
Next Story
More Stories